Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my 82 not very long ago, and it had 3 normal rims, and one rim from something else. Just today, I picked up a supra rim, and went to put it on. The rim I was replacing was on the back, and I had never had the back tires off before. So after I took the old tire off, I decided to see what the brakes look like. Well... I look at my rotor and it is very rusty. I think to myself, hmm, now this isnt normal. I then notice that the caliper is gone :) Ive been driving it with no rear brakes! I was surprised, to say the least, but not I need a rear caliper, anyone selling one?

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It appears that whoever owned the car before me cut the rubber hose and glued a screw into the end of the hose. It stops very poorly :)

·
Registered
7,111 Posts
MK2Racer said:
It appears that whoever owned the car before me cut the rubber hose and glued a screw into the end of the hose. It stops very poorly :)
the previous owners probably though they could save on brake pads :roll:

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
where are you?

i can see whether i have a caliper, but shipping would be murder to send one very far.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
OMFG! The previous owner should be taken out back and beaten severely.

:?

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, I agree. However, it was his stupidity that got me the car for cheap! It wouldnt move when you put it in gear, so he says "I bought it for $750 its broke, Ill sell it for $300" Well, he was moving so I said "I have 40 bucks, ill give you that" SO HE TAKES IT! 40 Bucks for a car with a blown clutch. New clutch, and voila! running MK2!

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
wow that guy does need shot, i cannot beleive that you drove around w/o rear brakes

·
Registered
38 Posts
Wow, and i thought it was bad when mine had the pistons frozen down when I bought it. that takes the cake. I got my rears for free though, yay for an 84 parts car a friend has :)

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Actually, I would have to say props to the SUpra because it just stopped "poorly" When the rears went out in my Cutlass... that was a joke. I slid over 200 yards in snow, going 10 MPH! It wouldnt stop pushing cuz the rear wheels wouldnt stop, and the fronts just locked up. Kind of scary, actually.

·
Registered
7,111 Posts
at the auto parts store where i get my pads the guy told me that the front does like 80 percent of the breaking. Is this true?

·
Registered
174 Posts
well, the fronts usually do a large portion of the stopping in order to keep the car stable around corners. because when you do brake, a large part of the weight of the car transfers forward giving the front wheels more traction and they are less likely to lock up under heavy braking. however because the weight transfers foreward during braking the rear tires are more likely to lock up because of less traction so brakes on the rear do not have to be as powerful, or as large. this is why steering under brake induces more oversteer than stearing under power... well, unless your driving a supra! then the wheels start to spin and the fun begins.

whoever says racing is just driving fast should be beaten like the guy who diconnected the rear brakes on MK2racers car. I thought people only did that to 80's v6 cameros that *couldn't* lite up the tires with the rears grabbing, everyone knows that Supras don't have that problem...

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
MK2Racer said:
I slid over 200 yards in snow, going 10 MPH! It wouldnt stop pushing cuz the rear wheels wouldnt stop, and the fronts just locked up. Kind of scary, actually.
During the winter when the roads are covered in ice You can see old pickup trucks sitting at the lights...front wheels locked back wheels slowly rotating on the ice.
-Wil

1 - 14 of 14 Posts