Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

A little engine PROBLEM

2K views 25 replies 9 participants last post by  sloopercat 
No, the tensioner is not supposed to "float". The spring sets the tension only, you have to tighten the center bolt to hold it in place.

You only changed the tensioner pulley, not the belt, right?

I hope the rattling sound was not the valves hitting the pistons as the cam timing could have been way off.

Dust cover? You can pull the top half of the front cover off, that is where the timing marks are. You did that when you changed the tensioner pulley, right? Based on the questions you have, I would get a repair manual. It is possible to do severe damage if you don't know the proper procedures.

I can't remember if these are interference engines or not. You might be right. Hopefully the knock sound our friend had was nothing more than the tensioner slapping around. If I understand correctly, it sounds like he did not tighten the bolt that locks the tensioner down. Others have taken stabs at it, I could be just as wrong. The descriptions are a little ambiguos.

Is it possible the belt is not tensioned correctly? There is a proper way to do that. If you turn the crank by hand , does the belt get loose depending on what direction you turn the crank?

You can move the crank manually by putting a socket on the crank pulley, or putting it in gear and push/pull the car a bit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.