Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
is awesome
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 'peeps' in the PACNW are going to hate seeing this...

Wife and I are starting to throw around the idea of perhaps changing our mode of living. I am a UXO Tech, in a nutshell I cleanup Military FUD/BRAC sites as a civilian contractor. I travel a LOT and don't stay in one spot for long; ever.

Wife & I don't like being apart from each other at all. So I'm contemplating either getting a Class A RV, or a 4x4 1-ton and a 5th wheel.

Any thoughts or suggestions.

Right now I have 3 supras, 2 running, 1 stock, and 1 w/ the 7M-GTE. (The swapped one takes a wee bit of maintenance... stock, essentially none).
I like to race..... so the truck could be used to haul parts/tires/support vehicle. But that means 3 vehicles... so one of the others would have to get parked.. or do a crazy 3 way tow..(Truck, 5th wheel, Supra). Which I'm not keen on.

With an RV, bigger, can simply tow my Supra, and the wife drive her Supra... But it's more expensive.

Anyone have any suggestions, tips, or hints in purchasing either?

I know I would want turbo diesel (either way), along with artic package, slide outs, electric jacks (w/ manual bu), AC, preferably washer & drier..

It's a big plunge either way, because the FUCKING BANKS... absolutely ignore us Transients that make 80K a year, because half of that is per-diem.. and I waste the rest away. Just spent $1000 bucks in two weeks on flights for Llana to come here, and me to go back to the PACNW for Thanksgiving... shitty. The other thing is that the Banks don't see this as a "First Timer Home Loan" they see it as a Luxury Loan... so that sucks as well

Anyways... fire away.

I absolutely love this 2008 Fleetwood Disovery 39R, but it's @ 80K and not even hit the reserve..

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
I would go with an RV. Just make sure to keep the 7MT Supra and Llana's white one and you should be ok on here.:ugh:

·
is awesome
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Apparently that Discovery starts at MSRP of like $219K... >.< WTF... I could live in a Ferrari for that... *le sigh* Hope the wife doesn't see that... O M G... I could be a small mansion for that (In Ohio)...

·
is awesome
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just ran the idea of the RV past the wife. She's cool with it. As well as the after-the-fact mentioned fact it would be cool to use it to travel round the country competing in Formula Drift/D1/Pro-Am drift circuit.

I think her exact words were "YES! I love it!"

I knew I married the right woman... knew it when I bought her a Supra for Valentines and the look on her face then, knew it the day I married her, and know it now. She rocks.

·
is awesome
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hmm wonder if I what it'd run to get an RV wrapped in race(y) vinyls ;) Don't even own it and thinking about stickering it up :D

"Wish it was powered by a 700hp Nascar Toyota V8, instead of Cummins Turbo Diesel" I will admit the 300hp is blase (blah-zay) but the 600ft lbs of torque is nothing to sneeze at.

·
Registered
3,963 Posts
that fleetwood rig has a starting bid of 80k, and reserve is not met yet....that's some biiiiig money. msrp is 230K +

what's a FUD and a BRAC?

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
id go fifth wheel. plenty of guys do the 3 way tows on the dodge forums and they say its really easy, like the car was never there. fifth wheel allows you to park the trailer, and take the truck somewhere if need be. ive never cared much for rv's. plus, i think its cheaper that way.

·
Registered
835 Posts
I've never been the fan of the 5th wheel...If your going to be towing yea you can do the 3 way tows...I like the idea of RV + Trailer the supra...

Personally If I do get a camper type setup it will just be the travel trailer and a truck. I don't like loosing the bed space because of the 5th...Buddy of mine has the setup i like...hauls 2 atv on his truck and tows a travel trailer...

·
Premium Member
7,940 Posts
Forget the travel trailer, having owned/towed 2 - 5th wheels since 1990, no comparision in my opinion on drivibility and safety, a 5th is far safer than a travel trailer...hitching is the much better as well...

IF I wanted a RV + Supra here would be my choice...

Class C + tow the Supra, better head room and flat floor vs a 5th wheel

IF like me you already have a truck, then check out 5th Wheel Toy Haulers...

·
is awesome
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
that fleetwood rig has a starting bid of 80k, and reserve is not met yet....that's some biiiiig money. msrp is 230K +

what's a FUD and a BRAC?
FUD = Formerly Used Defense (Site)
BRAC = Base Relocation And Closure

Military speak for shut down, decomissioned, and locations in (semi-permanant) standby. Almost ALL of them at least had a pistol range, and or grenade practice range. The one I was at in Vancouver, WA had a LOT of stuff. Pistol, Grenade, Rocket, Artillery/Mortar, Land mines, APERS (Anti-PERSonnel) mines, trip flares, slap (signal) flares (you slap the bottom of the launcher tube), Rifle Grenades, WWI era Stokes Mortars... Everything short of air dropped bombs, rockets & missiles (and SubMu's (Sub-Munitions, ie. bombs that disperse NASTY NASTY NASTY ultra-sensitive bomblets that are ridiculously dangerous).

RV for-sure. Trailer one supra, drive the other, and sideload a friggin' dualsport or scooter on front.

--billyM
You read my mind. Thinking of a TW200 Yamaha!! Wish we could get the TW225 (jap vers). Higher compression, fuel injected, and 6-speed... Oh well.

Thanks for all the positive input. I'm leaning towards RV... Because when I'm parked I'm going to have a truck that just sits there and the only time it gets used is to tow the 5th wheel and run the odd errand.

·
Registered
31 Posts
1. Before you plunge in and buy, make sure you rent both setups.
> There is nothing worse than realizing your "dream" has actually become a nightmare.

2. 'Google' "Toyhauler", and see if that kind of rig makes the most sense.
> This is one of the most practical ways to do what you desire.

3. Hauling two trailers (tandems) in many locales is prohibited and illegal.
> As well, think how much every toll will cost if you have a six(or seven)-axle rig.

4. Coaches are not the most convenient tool to run down to the store with.
> Pretty much, it is a big-ass house with a large engine and fuel tanks.

5. It is a heck of a lot easier to swap out towing rigs than engines in coaches.
> Remember, the bigger the tool the more expensive it is to service (9x out of 10).

6. Make sure to research the largest RV dealers ALL over the U.S.
> Typically, any of the largest outfits will find a way to finance your "dream". As well, the bigger the market usually means a serious price reduction.

7. In this economy I will be seeking out any/all repossessed units.
> There is no reason to pay "retail" for any RV's today.

8. Lastly, you can never have a big-enough sewer tank (and make dang-sure it is very well insulated from the worst kind of weather).

** Make sure your homeowner's / auto insurance policies will cover all aspects of your living on the road.

My choice (in this situation):

1Ton Turbo-Diesel Tow Rig; Extended-Cab or Crew Cab, 8' Lo-Pro Service Bed (for storing lots of tools and equipment). Gear Vendors under/overdrive unit, 100-gal fuel tank (min), Air-Bag suspension, Air-Ride captain's chairs.

42' Tri-Axle Toyhauler, with a double-stack unit in the garage - and slideouts, washer/dryer and satellite tv.

Plenty more to go with it, but you get the idea.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts