Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi im Jack im 17 and finally got my phone back and was able to take some pics, it aint pretty but its got power. Shes an 83, with an engine swap, straight piped and cold air. Planning to buy a parts car, and i should have everything i need to get her running right.
Im not the most skilled person in the body work area. Can anyone tell me if its easier to do an engine swap than to fix this body up.My dad is a trained mechanic so im safe in that area.
Thanks.

and theres worse cancer on the other side.

whats lurking under the hood.

and my friends 84.

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
its easier to swap the motor then do body work, i think. looks like you have your work cut out for you with those rockers. anyway, welcome to the site.

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
You should pull the covers of the back in the hatch area and check the shock towers to make sure they aren't rusted out. Rust there can be a little hazardous to your health with spirited driving.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
I'm more familiar with body work than engine swaps. Since we're in Canada, unless you park your car in the winter, it will succumb to salt and rust. I've always had used cars, so bodywork becomes second nature. It just takes time, but is actually pretty simple. Swaps are more fun, and with an experienced mechanic and shop otta be no problem. Either way, a good learning experience. That body's not too far gone, I've had worse. Your ride'll be mean when you get it finished, good winter project and you'll appreciate the work when you get results, have fun!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm more familiar with body work than engine swaps. Since we're in Canada, unless you park your car in the winter, it will succumb to salt and rust. I've always had used cars, so bodywork becomes second nature. It just takes time, but is actually pretty simple. Swaps are more fun, and with an experienced mechanic and shop otta be no problem. Either way, a good learning experience. That body's not too far gone, I've had worse. Your ride'll be mean when you get it finished, good winter project and you'll appreciate the work when you get results, have fun!
I think im going to do buy a parts car with no engine, and save this one for a project when i got the skills, and the money.
I foudn this car for sale great price, $400, blown engine, its an 83 so i have no worries about parts fitting from one to anther.
I have the 7M though so im sorted. Can anyone tell me if the transmissions are the same in the 5M and 7M. i doubt they are but i want to make sure.
Thanks.

·
Registered
5,206 Posts
I *believe* that other than the shifter "housing" on top of the transmission being different and a few cosmetic differences, they're the same.

7mge= W58
7mgte= R154

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tranny's are not the same. welcome to the forum!
Thanks man.
I'm not going ti usethat transmission from 5m now anyway because it's an auto, but the 7m has everything ti make it standard, means a little more work but I'd rather standard than auto.
The guy I'm intending to buy the car off says I'm the best person that has inquired about the car and he wants it to go to me cause I'm going to put the car to good use which made me happy lol.
If there is anyone near Calgary that would be willing to help me swap as well as my dad it would be much appriciated!
Thanks.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
I think im going to do buy a parts car with no engine, and save this one for a project when i got the skills, and the money.
Looks like you have a pretty solid one to start with (other than the hatch, and doors,rocker panels)

Did body work on mine for the first time, and learned what I didn't know from youtube....got the skills, and didn't spend alot of money :thumbsup: lol

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Looks like you have a pretty solid one to start with (other than the hatch, and doors,rocker panels)

Did body work on mine for the first time, and learned what I didn't know from youtube....got the skills, and didn't spend alot of money :thumbsup: lol
Youtube is such a good site haha.
I i still want to get the parts car though because it means i got a good interior jobby. And if i got a spare parts car, i got my own mini PYP lol.:zzzzz:

·
Registered
90 Posts
Hey I noticed your in Calgary, I think I test drove this sucker a while back, is your brake pedal larger than the clutch pedal? Buy it off some asian guys in NE around rundle? If so than I can give you some insight into the condition and trouble spots on that car, my inspection was fairly in depth.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts