Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How ya doing fella's! :D

The question i have for you is a simple one.

Did the 1984 supra get released anywhere in the world with a 5M-GE.

Toyota australia has been absolutely useless in my quest for info on this matter.

I have just purchased a 84 supra with the 5ME in it,as that is all they were ever released with here.

The car will be registered but its primary use will be as a track car so for homologation purpose's i need to find out if the car came out anywhere with a 5M-GE before i fit one otherwise CAMS will knock it.

If you can start me off with this info i promise to pester you for more tip's as the car progress's along its way to glory! :p

Regards
Darryl.

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
the 5MGE was the engine that all mkII supras got in north america... 82-86.

it was also in toyota cressidas around the same vintage.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Australia is one of only a couple of countries that got the 5-me in the mk2. Japan and USA(where most were sold) all were delivered with the 5m-ge.

HTH

·
Registered
153 Posts
Norbie said:
The Mk2 actually came with several engine options in Japan and other parts of the world, but yes the 5M-GE was one of them.
oh yeah, sorry bout the japan part. They had a shit load of engine options from memery, going from a the 1g-e through to the 5m-ge.

·
Registered
9,445 Posts
Correct,

Japan got the 5M-GEU 2.8L (the CelicaXX 2800GT MA61), the 1G-GEU 2.0L (the CelicaXX 2000G, S, or L GA61), and the M-TEU 2.0L Turbo (the CelicaXX 2000G Turbo, or the 2000S Turbo MA63).

·
Registered
955 Posts
What was the 5M-GEU 2.8L?

I would assume that it was a different spec 5M-GE. How does it compare to the 5M-GE?

Dale

·
Registered
9,445 Posts
Dale,

The 5M-GEU is basically a 5M-GE w/ the Japan Spec Emissions equipment. Anytime you see the "U" designation at the end of the motor name (any Toyota motor for that matter), this is what it means.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the info lads! 8)

I received the official CAMS homologation papers which verified all your replies.

Car is well under way now.

Motor is built...5M-GE with 7MGE crank,decked pistons, ported and flowed head,reground cams with indexable wheels,uprated injectors,O-Ringed block with copper gasket,custom extractors and system,billet alloy flywheel,2100 pound 4 puck ceramic button clutch,MX73 low ratio diff,windage tray,modified timing cover.

Whole system will be run by an autronic SM2 which is being installed as we speak,as is the roll cage.

Suspension on the front has been converted to coilovers and the rear was lowered with H/D springs.

Front and rear shocks/struts are bilstein's.

Sway bars and brakes next......any suggestions?

Regards

Darryl

·
Registered
9,445 Posts
Congrats Darryl,

Motor sounds like it's basically a hybrid 6MGE.

Swaybars & Brakes???? See Brakes & Suspension forum.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts