Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm still a student and i'm trying to restore my 82MK2 to regular working condition. I don't want to got to a mechanic because I know they will rip me off . I know some stuff abut fixing cars, but not enough. Will you guys help me out?!?!

I have a problem when I first start up the car and warm it up in the morning, it dies and I have to start it like 4 or five times to get it to work and I have to step on the gas. (I guess that's normal for an older car. It could be the ignitor assembly. I don't know. )

anyways...

Later in the day when I leave school, I have to pull out of an inclined driveway up into the main street. I step on the gas and it doesn't sense that i'm stepping on the gas. I could hear the high RPM and my car rolls backwards. Then it somehow senses that i'm stepping on the gas after two seconds and I peel out as I leave the inclined driveway of my school parking lot. Keep in mind I have an AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION. Not a good sign.

I'm thinking it could be the throttle sensor but i'm not sure. :?

Any suggestions would really help. :D

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Its a tranny problem you have my friend. Check your fluid first off... if your fluid is ok, then it could be a torque converter. I would be REAL gentle with it and avoid "peeling out" until you locate the exact problem...

·
Founding Member
6,405 Posts
Yes, obviously check the fluid level with the car running, warmed up and tranny in park. Check for the simple things first. Trace the transmission cooler lines to the radiator. Possible you might have run over something that bounced up under car and bent one of those lines pinching it off and restricting flow or causing a leak. The 82 I believe is not electronic controlled (my 85 is) so I don't recall if its got a vacuum actuator or not, but if so, check that its connected and getting engine vacuum. Other than that, you might have a problem with the hydraulic pump which is behind the torque converter on the front of the tranny case in which case it has to be torn down. There could also be a problem with the valve body which can be fixed with tranny in the car, much cheaper. Try getting a used tranny from a salvage if repairs costs are too much.

Your starting problem is either the cold start injector itself located underneath the throttle body at the center of the intake plenum or the cold start injector time switch located on the thermostat housing. These just give the engine just a little more gas when its cold so it'll keep running when you start it. Good luck with the car and try not to let these little mechanical problems interfere with keeping those grades up!

Phil D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts