Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking at a guys 85 p type and it has about 187k miles on the car. what are some common things to look for other than oil leaks and leaks of any kind? keep in mind i know nothing about toyota's he claims the motor runs very well

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I would say.... have the compression check and if it is all good and no smoke is coming out of the tailpipe... you are set to go... TOYOTA engines last for a lifetime with just a proper care and maintenance....

and also check for rusts... it is very notorious for rust especially the hatch

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah the rust thing i keep hearing about

so how much would it cost lets say to have compression testt dopne?

isnt it just hooking up a speacial meter into like the spark plug locations?

·
Registered
48 Posts
I concur with the checking of the smoke from the tail pipe and a compression test. Remember... if you see white smoke when u rev it up, its ok, just condensation. Blue smoke is a bad sign.

Really good stock compression should be around 150 psi per cylinder and u do need a tester that screws into the spark plug hole. I think you're suppose to conduct this test while the engine is warm.

Good luck,

-hosam

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so where can i find a compresion testing tool? not really to buy but just to test the car

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hmmm true maybe i will be stoping by napa or shucks or something :lol:

·
Registered
2,100 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanx man ive allready read all those though

also a guy today told me to ask about the timeing belt says the supra motors are like 800 dollar job to replace teh timeing beelt and all that crap

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
wingnut said:
also a guy today told me to ask about the timeing belt says the supra motors are like 800 dollar job to replace teh timeing beelt and all that crap
it depends on how much labor, for the water pump, t-belt, and accessory belts, plus maybe the thermostat and coolant, the max for Genuine Toyota Parts is like 200, thats if they're ripping you, wait if it needs a t-belt tensioner add another 100 those things are fricken expensive.... but its probably somewhere around 500 if you don't want to mess with it yourself...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts