Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.

The smooth functioning of a vehicle depends majority upon the kind of automotive wheels and tires used. Automotive wheels have circular frames that have the capability of rotating on their axis thereby helping in the movement of a vehicle. Automotive tires are usually rubber tubes or more specifically pneumatic enclosures affixed around a wheel which helps in facilitating rotation of a vehicle.

Almost all types of automobiles ranging from two wheelers, cars to airplanes use tires. Tires are filled with air, which ultimately offers a flexible support to the vehicle. Tires enhance the performance of an automobile by providing a smooth and comfortable grip of the road.

Mostly, auto tires are manufactured using ductile elastomer material like rubber, fabric and wire. Presently, more than one billion automotive tires are manufactured annually in the world with the three leading automobile wheel manufacturers occupying more than 60% of a global market share.

New innovations in terms of material, design and wheels parts in the auto industry have helped the auto wheels and auto tires manufacturers to put forth an extensive array of improved and high performing auto parts.

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
And because of the improvements, and because of the additional marketing hype trying to get people to buy a specific tire, there is an overwhelming number of choices - even without the discussion of which size wheel and which size tire should be used on a specific car for a specific purpose.

Most people looking for tires never really do any research to find out what tire works best for their car, at the speeds they typically drive, on the road surfaces they encounter most frequently, in their correct tire size, in their average weather conditions (for the season if you swap wheels and tires occasionally), run-flat or not (no thank you!), with the correct ,oad rating for the vehicle and the number of occupants/cargo load, for both the grip and tire life they want, nitrogen filled(?), and at a cost that's appropriate to all of the preceding points. And of course, you may want to throw in a trusted, or at least preferred, manufacturer. And not to rant, but thank goodness cars finally have tire pressure sensors because I am constantly amazed that folks these days never check their tire pressures!

Tires (and the wheels they are mounted on) today are a far different product than they were in the early part of the last century...

·
Registered
5,448 Posts

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
TPMS systems show many things. For example, when I first saw them I thought about how many people just drive...they don't look over the vehicle they drive, they don't give two shits about it as long as it get them where they're going, even if that's the last trip it'll ever make.

I mount and balance tires for a living basically and the types of TPMS sometimes (Ford's around the rim TPMS) cause a dilemma.

As far as tires, I like stiff tires. If I'm at the shop and pull a tire off the rack, if I press on it with my hand and can't flex it, I might buy it. If I smush it to the ground, I don't want that soft ass tire haha.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts