Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I had it done today. 42 degrees at the vent. I was not expecting it to work that well. Now I'm kicking myself for resisting for so long.

·
Premium Member
4,036 Posts
Interesting.

Who did the work, and how much did it cost?

- Jim

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
New R134a fittings, evacuate and recharge with R134a with dye. $220 labor, $85 parts. Will include rechecking for any leaks. Asked and said said they used an oil charge after doing the evac. It was an 82 degree day and it was too cold to leave on high cool. I'm expecting there to be a leaking fitting somewhere that will need to be tightened or resealed. The compressor doesn't have a lot of use on it. Was replaced 8 years ago and not run a lot.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I am running R134 in my system but it does not really cool down when running in stop and go traffic. When on the freeway it will do pretty good. I am thinking about going back to R12. Had the system working for the last few years and still works so I suspect no leaks.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is the pusher fan in front of the condenser working? That is supposed to help while idling or slow traffic.

·
Premium Member
7,844 Posts
Sowsley what shop did the conversion?? Valley Import?? Details Sir!!

·
Registered
568 Posts
Yes it is. I check that once in a while. It's just r134 needs more pressure. At isle you just don't get as much.

Dave
85 two tone 5mge

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Valley Import. Rob did the work. Nice, nice guy who knows MK2's.

·
Premium Member
7,844 Posts
Yep I should of guessed that!! Rob is a top notch mechanic!!

Valley Import. Rob did the work. Nice, nice guy who knows MK2's.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's been really frosty at the vents so I took my laser infrared thermometer to get a reading at the center vent. Down as cold as 22 degrees, mostly readings in the low 30's. How can that be? It was low to mid-80's outside. Receipt says 1.66# R134A.

·
Premium Member
5,864 Posts
It should be throwing snow flakes at you!
35-40* is normal. NO,excellent.
Was that reading taken at freeway speeds?

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It should be throwing snow flakes at you!
35-40* is normal. NO,excellent.
Was that reading taken at freeway speeds?
yes, about 60 mph

·
Registered
70 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts