Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So what is involved in converting the AC system to R134a? Do I just need to replace the o-rings, change the comressor oil and put the R134a in?

Should I take it to an AC shop or are the kits you buy at your local auto dealer good enough?

Can I buy Dye and put it in myself?

Engines I can do but I have never touched AC.

Thanx

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
i would go with a new product called "duracool" if i were going to recondition my ac, but thats just my opinion.

its a propane based product, and it works very well for a very low price.

sorry i couldnt be more help on your actual question :)

·
Registered
216 Posts
I actually just did this in mine. I bought a conversion kit (comes with 2 fittings for our cars...namely a high and a low) from an auto parts store tha cost me $13. Then, keep in mind I had NO free-on before so I didnt have to properly dispose of the old stuff, I simply filled it up about %90... ran it so much until my face was numb. Then I drained and refilled it again to get out a lot of the old crap/dirt.

There are actually like 3 different spots on our a/c system that you can service from, I couldnt beleive it! Yu can basically put the high fitting anywhere that is easiest for you. I work at a dealer so I had access to the machine and free R-134. This would probably cost you abotu $30 to get done most places.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
There is also a product out there called Freeze 12 that will replace R12 with no conversion necessary, I have used it here in the shop for AC charges on older cars with good results, but I have not been able to spend the time to fix the leak in my 85' so I don't have first hand experience with Freeze 12 in a Supra.

Its not cheap but then again its not really that expensive either.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I did not change any seals, or change the comp oil no... It blows cold as hell and freezes my face off if I want it to! And keep in mind I live in Phx, and its been consecutively over 110* the last week :shock:

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
there was a guy at my dealership that told me never convert an r-12 to an r-134a system because it will never cool as well but if your saying that it will cool till your face freezes then i'm all for it, i can't get 134a for free but i can get it for very cheap, like 1.50 for a 12oz can

·
Premium Member
6,116 Posts
Im tryin to get my A/C goin again and I think my system is completely discharged-They sell aretrofit kit for about $40 for fittings and two cans of R-134a and a can of cleaner at the local Schucks/checker/kragen-The directions look pretty simple, I just havent done it yet cause I was chasin Electrical :roll: -Im gonna pick one up soon-Ill let you know how it works-"Never gets hot enough for A/C in Seattle"-Yeah rite!-Mike P

·
Founding Member
6,423 Posts
trdmkii said:
there was a guy at my dealership that told me never convert an r-12 to an r-134a system because it will never cool as well but if your saying that it will cool till your face freezes then i'm all for it, i can't get 134a for free but i can get it for very cheap, like 1.50 for a 12oz can
My cousin runs his own auto a/c business in Texas. He did a few 134 conversions when the shit first started but then quit doing conversions after he had to convert so many back to r-12 when the owners came back griping that it was not good enough to cool your car back down after the interior temps reach 150 degrees sitting in a hot asphalt parking lot. Several members have been using hydrocarbon blends such as HC-12a and something called "Envirosafe". I plan to try the latter on my bluepra project car when I get it back together. Most shops can't touch these simply because of liability insurance but a good friend of mine works in R&D for Lennox and confirms they've tested many of these HC blends. He says homeowners could save megabucks on energy costs if the EPA would allow them to build HC based systems.

Phil D.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts