Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I always drive my supra like I stole it. I usually dont shift average till around 4500 RPM. Sometimes I keep it at 4th gear and cruise at 3000 RPM. My MPG is horrible. I get about 160-200 miles per tank!! I get about 13-16 mpg! :duh: So I made a promise to my self to accelerate slowly this whole tank. I am hoping some of you will follow my foot steps. So far I am slightly above 3/4 a tank and I have 65 miles. My commute to work is mostly small streets with a lot of traffic lights and stop signs (i take the back route so no traffic). Very little highway. I change gears under 3000 RPM. I am hoping I can reach 250 - 300 miles per tank :thumbsup: I will let you guys know in 2 weeks. Who's with me?

·
Registered
7,930 Posts
I wouldnt go by anything with your gauge till your about through it all. I know for a fact the full half of my tank moves a bit slower than the lower half.

I tried what you did before I went turbo. Got a bit better gas mileage but was always bored with driving...
I love driving my supra, so screw gas mileage. I dont do any other hobby really, my car is my hobby so I dont mind the little extra for fuel to pay for my fun hobby.

·
Premium Member
6,133 Posts
So I always drive my supra like I stole it. I usually dont shift average till around 4500 RPM. Sometimes I keep it at 4th gear and cruise at 3000 RPM. My MPG is horrible. I get about 160-200 miles per tank!! I get about 13-16 mpg! :duh: So I made a promise to my self to accelerate slowly this whole tank. I am hoping some of you will follow my foot steps. So far I am slightly above 3/4 a tank and I have 65 miles. My commute to work is mostly small streets with a lot of traffic lights and stop signs (i take the back route so no traffic). Very little highway. I change gears under 3000 RPM. I am hoping I can reach 250 - 300 miles per tank :thumbsup: I will let you guys know in 2 weeks. Who's with me?
You only drive 250 miles in 2 weeks? I did 250 this weekend....

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It has been hard. Sometimes I want to pass people that needs a good acceleration. I am not planning to do this the whole time. Just this one tank so I can proof my self that it is me that really causing the bad fuel efficiency.

Yeah, I dont trust the gauge but I do feel that I have way more miles than usual at this level. Usually when the gas light turns on, I fill about 12.xx gallons. How about you guys? How big is the tank anyway? Around how many gallons should the light turn on?

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Once my truck is running I'll be driving that more than the car, even though the car gets better gas mileage. I usually shift right at 3K, highest 4.5K. I also drive 75 in the 55. Whatever. Enjoying the drive means more to me than getting good gas mileage. If they go hand in hand great, but that don't seem to be the case with the Supra, and definitely won't with the truck haha.

OH yea, I do 60miles highway Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday. So my car does see 180 highway miles almost guaranteed. 30 mile to, 30 mile from. Cruisin at 75mph almost the whole time ;)

·
Registered
137 Posts
I understand why your doing this, but the hell with it your driving a Supra not a Prius! Screw gas milage! Hammer Down and drivie it like it wants to be driven!

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
13-16mpg? that cant be right. i drive my car pretty hard and average 22mpg. my truck averages 14. thats terrible.

·
Premium Member
4,081 Posts
My car was equally shitty with 4.30s, 3.73s are in now and I'm pulling WAYYY better numbers. 85 Stock motor. 200k+ miles. Intake pipe and K&N cone.

4.30s 14-17 city. 20-23 highway.

3.73s 21-24 city. 26-28 highway.

Both are GPS confirmed.

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
18-19 in town with my 6m and I have a heavy foot. Shift at 4500-5500 but cruise at about 30-35 in 4th 2200-2400rpms(hard to tell with a digi dash)
21 freeway and it would turn on the light at 300 miles when I put in 14 gallons. At 75+ mph.

With 4.30s 5 speed and 89octane

·
Registered
515 Posts
I was getting an average of 29-31mpg in my Cressida with the 5m. That was about 80% or more freeway miles going to school though.
Then I did the 6m swap and dropped to about 25mpg or so (but I drove it a little harder).
Now that I'm out of school, I drive it hard on the major city streets around here, and I've still managed to pull off great mileage. IDK what I'm getting now exactly (speedo cable broke a few weeks ago), but I've been rocking the same tank for 3 1/2 weeks now, and I feel I can push it two more days to even it off at 4 weeks for this tank.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
shit.. i dunno man. I ve got RC intake, cone filter, upgraded header and exhaust, new NGK wires and plugs. What shall I fix next? This is my 2nd supra and I got shitty mpg last one also.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I get 21mpg whether i drive like a grandma or a lunatic. I don't think you should be burning that much gas.

start with what haynes recommends.

dirty or clogged air filter

incorrect ignition timing

low tire pressure or incorrect tire size

fuel leakage

dirty or clogged fuel injectors

problem in fuel injection system

Could also just need a new fuel filter.

Gas is going to go up to 3 dollars or more:32:

·
Registered
662 Posts
i get around 20 MPG in my 85 i have a 50 mile round trip back an fourth to work. I have a 4.30 with 320,000 mile 5m. The first 8 miles to work include a stop light free 80mph run. The next 17 miles go up and down from 45 to 55 which i always travel 5 over.

My tank averages 225, and 250. When i behave i can see about 300 miles per tank. Now i do run 93 octane every fill up, Last summer i cleaned all the injectors and the entire intake path along with blocking the EGR valve setup. I don't drive as hard as some people but no means do i baby my baby. She regularly see triple digit speeds upwards of 120. So your take on 14 MPG needs to be severely re thought

·
Registered
438 Posts
I get 21mpg whether i drive like a grandma or a lunatic. I don't think you should be burning that much gas.

start with what haynes recommends.

dirty or clogged air filter

incorrect ignition timing

low tire pressure or incorrect tire size

fuel leakage

dirty or clogged fuel injectors

problem in fuel injection system

Could also just need a new fuel filter.

Gas is going to go up to 3 dollars or more:32:
I have the same results with a 6m that needs a rebuild. You have a problem.

·
Registered
437 Posts
The best ive ever seen on my car was 460km or around 270 miles from a full tank and that was all highway none stop in one day. I thought that was good until now :sadbanana:

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
362 miles was my best. From Vancouver, Wa, to Yreka, Ca. On one tank. It was like 26.8 mpg or something.

You guys getting less then 18 need to do some serious diagnostic work, because something is wrong.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts