Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
give me your honest opinion on these car, have always wanted one and drooled over them, parked next to one last night at a restaurant (black one) I would imagine they are a hoot to drive, handling wise....sub 300hp hmmmm.

Who has driven one....ride report please

Corbin KY

1992 Acura NSX

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Acura-NSX-1992-Red-Black-NSX-5-SPD-Two-Sets-Wheels-Tires-RECORDS_W0QQitemZ180429780427QQcategoryZ5337QQcmdZViewItem

One in Denver looks nice as well....close for a look.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Acura-NSX-1992-Red-Black-NSX-5-SPD-Two-Sets-Wheels-Tires-RECORDS_W0QQitemZ180429780427QQcategoryZ5337QQcmdZViewItem

·
Registered
471 Posts
there amazing looking.
there was one at the races in hartford saturday white, rolled in with an evo. he was from mass. thing was sexy. he was playing on the highway, made me alittle hard. from what i saw it handled like you wouldn't believe. 20 of us were on the highway for about 30~ miles the nsx kept wooping everyone and looked good doing it.

·
I like Boost
3,725 Posts
looks nice, not worth the money.

If it was a cheap JDM import common like a skyline or MR2 I'd consider it.

But never for the prices they go for. Price factor vs over-all motor performance not interesting me.

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
Great cars. I know someone who has one and he loves it. But they go through tires quickly - lucky to get 10,000 miles on a set - particularly the rears. Go for the later 290 hp versions if you can.

·
Registered
624 Posts
I've heard the handling feel of these cars is unparalleled. They aren't that fast in a straight line but if that's what you want the NSX isn't on your short list anyways.

·
Supra since '86
5,472 Posts
Simply superb. It's true you go through tyres quickly. I've been watching the market on these and who knows? If the right one comes along at the right price I may pick one up.

·
Registered
304 Posts
The Most 'Accessible' Exotic Ever Built

I've never driven one but have always wanted one. One of the few reliable, daily-drive practical supercars. I remember when they first came out, the general consensus was Ferrari-like performance (not like one of the newer Ferraris, mind), with all of the refinement and reliability of a Honda. Even the elitist magazine writers had a hard time accusing them of lacking 'soul,' once they heard the howl of that engine. IIRC, this was the car that introduced V-Tec to the U.S. 8,000rpm and 270 hp out of a 3.0 liter V-6 wasn't too shabby in the 90s, and at well under 3,000 lbs. they were anything but slow. Not dragster fast, but 0-60 in around 5 seconds and a top speed of 160mph. Nothing to sneeze at. I guess if you're after pure speed, get a Viper or something like it. Bragging rights are one thing, but an NSX would be the car if you enjoy how a good car's controls work and the driver's interaction with them. Myself, I'd take one over a Viper, Vette, even a GT40 or other such car. An NSX has more 'useable' performance -- supplemented with a very respectable turn of speed -- and that's the kind of car that's easier for a discerning driver to bond with. Some of you will probably disagree with me, but you know what they say about opinions...

They were handbuilt by master technicians in the same workshop that HRC (Honda Racing Corporation) used, the same workshop that engineered and built their F1 engines and MotoGP or Formula motorcycles. All-aluminum body, chassis and motor, nearly the entire car was aluminum. A lot of car companies to this day would still struggle to emulate the engineering of an NSX. From what I've read, Ferrari was forced to respond with a lot of improvements and refinements to its entry-level cars because they recognized just what a threat the Acura was to their dominance.

There's nothing but upside to these cars if you're a collector. They haven't really had their day in the sun yet, mostly due to what I consider the (unfounded) biases and prejudices of the collector car market. There are dozens of reasons they should be considered a 'milestone' car, mostly related to all of the technology they introduced, and not least because they really are the only exotic car ever produced by the Japanese, if you discount the Toyota 2000GT and the soon to be introduced Lexus V-10 coupe. No matter, they are definitely the only mid-engined Japanese exotic ever produced. Like most Japanese cars, the NSX is accused by a lot of sniffy, collector-car writers of not having any 'heritage,' but I'd say Honda's Formula 1 record is heritage enough for those of us who are more concerned with the driving experience than poseur's rights...

So, umm, yeah, I like them.

BTW, if you look at any, be aware that most of the early ones, from 1990 partway into 1991 I believe, had what is known as a 'snap-ring' issue in the transmission which was redesigned in all subsequent cars, and should've been dealer-fixed in any early cars too. However, I'd walk from any car that can't be verified to have had the fix done as it can be very expensive to repair. Other than that, the cars really have no well-known or widespread issues.

·
Registered
3,963 Posts
as echoed earlier, it's my understanding they are supercar chassis with an "average" motor. I bet these things would be dynamite with a spercharger on them, or appropriatley sized turbo. regardless, I'd imagine it would hard to keep a smile off of your face when driving this thing quickly, no matter how slow you think it is. This of course, somebody who has never even ridden in one.

I wouldn't mind one :)

·
Registered
304 Posts
as echoed earlier, it's my understanding they are supercar chassis with an "average" motor. I bet these things would be dynamite with a spercharger on them, or appropriatley sized turbo. regardless, I'd imagine it would hard to keep a smile off of your face when driving this thing quickly, no matter how slow you think it is. This of course, somebody who has never even ridden in one.

I wouldn't mind one :)
As stated above, 8,000 rpm, 270 hp & 0-60 in around 5 seconds. All depends on your definition of 'average' I suppose.

If someone told you a car revved to 5,500rpm, made 435 hp, weighed 4,000 lbs. and did 0-60 in around 5 seconds, would you still consider the motor average?

The NSX was all about doing more with less.

·
Registered
3,963 Posts
As stated above, 8,000 rpm, 270 hp & 0-60 in around 5 seconds. All depends on your definition of 'average' I suppose.

If someone told you a car revved to 5,500rpm, made 435 hp in a car weighing 4,000 lbs. and did 0-60 in around 5 seconds, would you still consider the motor average?
i'll bring up the c5 corvette since celsup was talking about corvettes earlier. The c5 is no slouch in handling, makes 350hp and 365 torque, has similar weight and will get to 60mph a whole second faster than the NSX. They can be had for around $1000 at times! - that's somewhere around half the cost of an NSX.

Lets not even get into how horribly the tables are swayed when you include very cheap upgrades like exhaust...an aftermarket camshaft. Just saying, there are better bargains to be had in the power to weight/overall performance category.

awesome car, but for the price and the level of development in the chassis, it could have more power...

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
NSX's are rare cars, C5s are a dime a dozen. I saw a very nice black one at the mall today, it made me double take. They are sweet, one of the first cars I really really wanted. Love the scene in Pulp Fiction when the Wolf rolls out...

·
Registered
304 Posts
i'll bring up the c5 corvette since celsup was talking about corvettes earlier. The c5 is no slouch in handling, makes 350hp and 365 torque, has similar weight and will get to 60mph a whole second faster than the NSX. They can be had for around $1000 at times! - that's somewhere around half the cost of an NSX.

Lets not even get into how horribly the tables are swayed when you include very cheap upgrades like exhaust...an aftermarket camshaft. Just saying, there are better bargains to be had in the power to weight/overall performance category.

awesome car, but for the price and the level of development in the chassis, it could have more power...
I understand what you're saying, but the point I was trying to make was that even though the NSX might not be the fastest car out there, it's still one of the best cars to drive due to, well...the way it drives. Raw speed is easy, great driving dynamics, not so much. C5 Vettes are undeniably great value in a performance car, and sure they are great handlers,but they do fall down on some of the details and 'feel' that an NSX has in spades. The C5's were always criticized because even though they had great roadholding, the steering communicated very little of what the front wheels were doing. You might even be cornering faster than the NSX, but if you're having a hard time understanding what the front wheels are doing, are you really having more fun? I'd rather have a somewhat lower 'limit' and know where it was, than go faster and not know how far away I was from disaster. The newer Vettes are great cars, but I've never had much interest in them because the controls -- up until the C6 came out anyways -- always had this 'inert,' generic quality to the feedback coming back to the driver, as if the engineers implemented data that would read good on a road test, but didn't have a clue as to what feedback or car/driver interaction should feel like. Again, the C6's, and to a lesser extent the C5s, have made great strides in this area, but prior to that, the Vettes were pretty primitive in that regard. Those things don't matter to some people --to each their own -- but if I'm going to spend my hard-earned, I expect and demand it.

No doubt I'm a fussy sonofabitch, but these things matter to me. Life's not always a race to the next hairpin or the next stoplight and for all those other times, your car had better have a more well-rounded persona, one you can better appreciate during the 'quiet' times...

OK, lemme see, I need another beer. Merry Christmas everyone!

·
Registered
304 Posts
depends on what you want, just trying to put some of the pros and cons in perspective.
TireShredder, your point is well taken, and I agree. And no doubt, it totally depends on what you're looking for in a car. Always good to hear the pros and the cons. I can get a little carried away with my opinions, but hell, I appreciate strong opinions from others just the same.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts