Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
where can I find on car adjustables. I know the Illuminas were discontinued but there has to be a alternative/stash out there somewhere...

help?!

will

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Dream on!!! They are long gone but not forgotten :cry: :cry: :cry:

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was talking to the guy driving oldphirs car at the baxter event (forgot his name really nice guy) and he said they were still avab. if you knew where too look but I can't remember where that was :grr:

:x

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
I took tokico parts numbers into a partstore and checked. He said he could get them. I told him that all my club members said no way and could he check to make sure. So he called his US supplier and confirmed that the front and rear tokicos were available. I couldn't afford them though :cry: I think that Tokico stopped making them but there are still some tucked away...you just have to get lucky.
And before I get flooded with PMs about the store location this was two years ago and they cant get them now :mad:
They show up on Ebay once in awhile so keep your eyes peeled.

Some members have been experimenting with MR2 fronts. I think they need a sleeve to fit our strut sleeve.
People are also using Prelude adjustable springs on the front of the MK2. You need to weld on a new spring perch to seat them.

I think the tokicos and prelude springs have been talked about on other threads.

·
Registered
15,035 Posts
actually, the shocks you want are for the rear of an 88-89 mr2. they are roughly 2in shorter. you can get spacers from techno toy tuning. there is a link on club4ag.com. the spacers are ~$37 for the pair. tokico illuminas for the rear of the aw11 are ~$!25 each. you have to measure the exact difference in length between the aw11 shocks and the stock mkii front shocks before ordering spacers and it has to be in mm. also, coilover kits for 92+ preludes are cheap off ebay and 92+ preludes weigh in around 2900lbs so the front springs should work ok to start at least. if you need stiffer springs they can be ordered from ground control for ~$100 a pair. i paid $80 for the set of 4 coilovers for a 92 prelude and sold the rear set for $40 so for $40 i got a set of front coilovers.
william

·
Registered
9,445 Posts
All....

This was covered already in previous postings (see the older posts here from Chris (Flyin Hawaiian). This is ALSO where that useful "SEARCH BUTTON" comes into use!!!!!! :p :oops:

Will... The person that you met @ Baxters who had Ophir's car, was our own Shawn Pease (aka Junkie) from Nix99.

The now OFFICIAL word on the MKII Tokico Illumina's.

Officially, the Illumina's for our cars have been discontinued. The front strut cartridges (Part# BZ3062) are no longer available ANYWHERE, unless you can acquire a set that someone has stashed away. Tokico destroyed the tooling that made these specific strut carts, so we cannot get Tokico to start making more for us, if that was even possible.

The rear shocks (Part# BE2321) have also been discontinued, BUT, Toysport still has a stash of them in stock. The rear shocks are also the same ones for the 82 - 85 RA Celica GTS. They also have the Illumina front strut carts for the Celica GTS (Part# BZ3074) that "supposedly" they can modify for stiffer dampening & they will work on our MKII's. Of course Toysport wants a arm & a leg for these (over $400+) due to the fact that these are on their unobtanium list.

Someone had a pair of TRD 7-way adjustable rear shocks a few months back on Ebay. Can't remember the outcome of the auction. As some of you know, the TRD shocks are basically Bilstein's rebadged under the TRD name.

Closest thing to "any" type of adjustables for our MKII's at the moment, are Koni's (can't remember the specific model). They are not on car adjustable... :p

·
Registered
792 Posts
It's funny you should bring up them trd rear shocks Chris! Just so happens, I was the one who bought them! On top of that, the guy sellin' 'em was Jake, the guy who's making the rear sway bar mounts! After gettin' these brand new 17 year old shocks, I noticed they are stamped with KYB on the bottom side, exactly like the standard white KYB non-adjustable shocks I had put in 6 months earlier!
And as for Toysport, I tried getting a pair of front adjustable struts from them a while back, and after 3 weeks of no product, I had them refund my money! They may have 'em, but boy are they slow to get anything done! As far as I can tell, they are just the Celica GTS front struts, nothing different at all except the supra's length is 15.5", while the Celica is 15.563"(that's from Tokico's rep).
So I'm still lookin' for alternatives for adjustable front struts for the Supra. I've been trying to get around to calling Koni, see if they can do something, but between work and my new baby boy (born last week Monday-WooHoo!!!), I just haven't had the time. I will get to it in the next month though, and will post as usual what I find out!
Chris

·
Premium Member
1,969 Posts
Chris:

What about the Tokico Illumina application for the '79-'83 Nissan 280zx ??
The BZ3038 front cartridge mentioned earlier is 14.875" vs the Supra stock at 15.5". So get a alum spacer for inside bottom of strut housing in right shape and about 0.625" thick, maybe work ? Someone with a stock size strut housing should try this and let everyone know. Cars are pretty similar in weight and susp design, I think it would work pretty well. Nissan is better supported in the aftermarket than our Supras, hopefully if it works the supply of parts is more dependable.

Don L.

·
Registered
15,035 Posts
the 79-83 280zx front tokico illuminas are the same price as the rear aw11 shocks. does anyone know the exact length of the rear aw11 shocks? im not sure where to measure from. i have a set here though. as for the 280zx shocks, i could probably take one out of the housing next time im at the bone yar if there is an mkii there and see if the diameters are the same.
william

·
Registered
247 Posts
I have a set of the Tokico Illuminas on my car right now. I got them from Toysport at the beginning of march this year. They said they were ordered from Japan and the fronts were for the MKII supra and the rears were off something else. They were $400 for the set and well worth it in my opinion. A word of warning however, the rear shocks are a good 2" shorter than stock and would probably not work with a stock height car. I have ST springs so it is passable but I still top out the rear suspension if I take speed bumps at anything other than a crawl. It took Toysport a good two months to get the shocks in but they did eventually come. If you need something right away I wouldn't even bother but if you don't mind waiting it's definitely something doable.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Hey Don L, do you have any rear SW20 struts lying around that you could measure. I am still trying to decide what adjustables I want to try and use for my coilover setup.

The 280Z would be a great match I bet but all I see for them is Tokico Illuminas, and after my negative experince with the HP's I dont think I want anything Tokico on my car.

I still like the idea of using the AGX's for the MR2 SW20 if they dont reduce suspension travel too much. And i think you said you use them on your SW20 and like them alot. They are also the most affordable.

The AW11 rear strut situation seems like Illumina or Koni. And the heaviest AW11 are only about 2600lbs I think, so Im worried about using anything for that. Koni's are expensive too.

I am also curious about 240SX both S13 and S14 struts anyone have any ideas on how long those are?

·
Premium Member
1,969 Posts
sorry, no spare struts for the MR2 in the garage. The stock units were sealed units that were terrible to open up, then oil everywhere. They used the strut housing as part of the shock dampening. The AGX units fit inside the stock housing. I would say if you can get a AGX adjustable insert into your housing, find the appropriate spacer for the bottom of the housing (or cut your strut housing shorter), the ride woud be nice and firm. I like my AGX units in the MR2 alot, great for autox, bit stiff on the street though. They adjust the bump and rebound simultaneously, good sometimes.

Don L.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts