Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
:wink: If you're having trouble with a noisy cam train, it could be those hydraulic self adjusters are sticking a bit. I fixed this problem by changing the oil and substituting one quart of oil with a quart of Marvel Mystery Oil...funny name, but miraculous when it comes to unsticking lifters and rings. Try the cheapest fix first, then buy asprin before proceeding further. SDII

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
SupraDII said:
:wink: If you're having trouble with a noisy cam train, it could be those hydraulic self adjusters are sticking a bit. I fixed this problem by changing the oil and substituting one quart of oil with a quart of Marvel Mystery Oil...funny name, but miraculous when it comes to unsticking lifters and rings. Try the cheapest fix first, then buy asprin before proceeding further. SDII
lol buy asprin.......thats a very good tip.....but you'll need more than aspirin...maybe some demerol..lol take a shot right in the arm....ahhh all better now.

·
Registered
17 Posts
How do U adjust the Valves on a 6m? This is the 3liter, and the book i have doesnt show this engine. Any help on where to find specs would be great.

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
It's the same as the 5m, the only difference in those motors is really just the block, and if you use the 6m intake there is no spot for the egr. therefore......THERE IS NO VALVE ADJUSTMENT...<---not yelling, just making it easier to read...lol have a good day.

·
Registered
17 Posts
My Hayes book shows shims are required to adjust the valves on the DOHC engines?. I have rockers on mine. I bought this engine used and someone had worked on the both the cams (evidence of fresh RTV) I see the lash Adjusters but cant see how to adjust them, ( so these are hydraluic and cant be adjusted? thats sucks because it is in need of adjusting, badly!! ) What does the EGR valve have to do with the Valves? and the 6m intake? i have a 5m, 6m and a 3000 series? what are those differences (as U can tell i am new to these engines) Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
15,035 Posts
the shims are for 7mge and 7mgte engines. 5m and 6m motors have hyfraulic lash adjusters and cannot be adjusted. they adjust themselves and run 0 clearance.
william

·
Registered
17 Posts
williamb82 said:
the shims are for 7mge and 7mgte engines. 5m and 6m motors have hyfraulic lash adjusters and cannot be adjusted. they adjust themselves and run 0 clearance.
william
Thanks, i havent worked on an engine that U couldnt adjust the valve lash. I reached a conclusion that the engine could have sat for a while (purchased from Foreign Engines Inc for $700) and that a couple of the adjusters were stuck (hopeing, praying, crossing my fingers) i put 8 oz of a product called "Sea Foam" in the the oil and let it run for a while, it apperently freed them up, its not tapping as loud. but U can still hear a little valve train noise.
"MA71supraturbo" when U had the head on the bench, did U pull the lash adjusters out? did U take anything apart and put it backtogeather? a cam lobe and lifter wear togeather and shouldnt be changed to a differnet location. How long has the engine sat. If U have a micrometer measure the cam lobes and see if U have any differences, if U had a flat cam lobe U should be able to see wear on the lobe. Thanks again williamb82.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I got the car with the head off, and the rockers scattered around the interior. After cleaning everything off, I couldn't tell a difference between any of them so I installed them as best I could. This was a free car, so I'm hoping to get it going with a minimal amount of work...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Bummer!! about the parts The car was free though, thats cool. I dont know much new parts would cost. Call foreign Engines Inc at 1-800-552-1595 and see how much a head would cost. I am sending an engine back to them right now that had a blown # 2 piston ring, that caused blow by pressure in the oil pan which blew out the dipstick and all the oil. the crank bearings are bad (knocking while reving) but the head was fine. this is a 5m engine. I just received another engine (6M) from Foreign Engine (under a 1 yr warrenty) for free. They also have 7MGTs engines availiable for around $800, i would have bought one of those but this car is my 15yr old sons, the car already does 140, i dont want him to get to 140 any faster.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Wasn't somebody selling a complete refinised head for a 5M in the For Sale section???

1 - 15 of 15 Posts