Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I received Mitch's front strut tower bar so it was time to finally get my Top Secret vented carbon fiber hood installed that I picked up from Raptor Racing during the group buy last year. Snapped a few pics with my iPhone but will get some better outdoor pics with my DSLR later. It really changes the look of the car--I like it a lot. I didn't weigh the OEM hood but it's A LOT heavier than this carbon piece. Seat of the pants driving I *think* I can feel the weight difference in the front end--the way the front suspension feels.

Fit of the hood is pretty good. As others have noted, it bulges a little bit but perhaps sitting out in the sun it will relax some. The clear coat finish is really nice...had no trouble aligning the hood and engages the oem latch perfectly. Anyway, here are a few pics:

I love the shape and style of the vents on this hood--aggressive looking!!

-Dan

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Very perceptive Mike!! In fact, I just picked it up Thursday of last week. I bought it certified at a dealership 500 miles away and drove her home. It's a 2013 with just 7,800 miles on the clock--black optics, Daytona Gray Pearl effect paint, alcantara seats and loaded with all the goodies. Been eyeing the RS5 for about a year and finally pulled the trigger. Here's a few pics I snapped the morning after I got her home and after the first wash:

I'm selling my previous driver: Lexus IS350 private if anyone's interested. ;-). I was also looking at the new RC-F but there's something so classy and sexy about the RS5...

-D

·
Registered
187 Posts
Agree with the others...wheels are incredible looking!

Now, back to hood. I put a used Advan hood (the oem style) on about a month ago and had the same bulging issue. I found that after the hood gets hot, from driving and/or being out in the sun, the bulging will be reduced. I also did note that the bulging became almost non-existent when I wasn't using any hood struts but that was a pain whenever I needed to do anything under the hood. So, I am currently using one of the hood struts and looking for other options. Are you using both hood struts?

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Wow, now that is a garage of toys to be envious of. Two awesome cars!

Do you get alot of in-person attention over the Coddington wheels? Do people know that they are retro up-sized versions of the stock wheels? They are a perfect fit on your silver car, they really set the entire car into an elite level IMHO.

-Mike

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
There was a write up by gamble using the stock good struts. You have to drill a hole half inch off the top, and compress all the fluid out. Then drill a hole into the strut and use a clip to hold the hood up.

I did it, and it worked great! Thanks Gamble.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Also, concerning the hood struts for the carbon hood. It is relatively easy to get replacement struts with the exact same (or close to) extended, compressed, and stroke length with a lighter force. This could easily be the best solution for the bulging if it is the struts that are causing it. Although it isn't mathematically correct to assume you can just use a ratio of the weights of the carbon/stock hood (the angles in play and force needed to start and continue the travel of the shock will be different for different hood weights), it is a simple way to find a more suitable strut. If the carbon hood is 1/3 the weight of a stock hood, you should be looking for a strut that has 1/3 the actuation force.

A quick look on rockauto.com for our cars shows the Monroe hood strut listed at part number 901206 with the following specs:

I tried searching around the net, but cant find an exact force listed for these struts (at least for the Monroes). I saw some listing eluding to them possibly being 37 lb struts, which I would believe for the weight of the hood and the leverage ratio required being mounted so close to the struts. If this is the case, you could simply look at you ratio difference and find a suitable strut with the needed compressed and extended lengths. www.LiftSupportsDepot.com makes this easy with their universal lift support catalog. I simply entered a compressed length of 9-10", and an extended length of 15-16", and have 140 different struts that meet that requirement. Sorting by force, they start at 10 lbs with multiple mounting styles, though most all aftermarket struts use the same ball end clip style end that require the threaded adapters you can get in the monroe or suitable MA61 kit.

http://www.liftsupportsdepot.com/all-products/shopby/ln_compressed_length_b-8-10/ln_extended_length_a-15-16/?dir=asc&order=ln_force_lbs

The first few struts that meet the criteria, sorted by force:

EXAMPLE: If the carbon hood was 1/2 the weight of the stock and you looked on the original struts to find a force of 30 lbs, you could be somewhat safe assuming a 15lb strut would support the hood as intended, and not provide the additional 2x force needed that is bulging the hood up. If you look on your current struts, there is usually a force listed on them somewhere if it is an aftermarket unit. You could always call or email lift support depot and tell them your car and strut specs, and I am sure they would have a way with their connections to find the force rating for a stock MA61 strut and recommend a compatible "lighter force" strut to use, and get you the needed threaded ball end adapters if you don't already have them. You guys have spent a pretty penny on some nice hoods, you should do your best to get some correctly reduced struts to seal the deal.

-Mike

·
Registered
437 Posts
Cars look incredible Dan! When are we going to get to see that supra in action?

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for doing some legwork Mike on the right struts! I'm not using any struts right now and notice a little hood bulge. I need to check the hood bumpers to make sure they're not too high but I think they're ok. I'm going to try the 15lb struts and see if they'll do the trick. I'll check the aftermarket ones I took off with the oem hood and see if they have a weight value listed.

Thanks for the comments guys! I've been working to get this car perfect for a few years now. But I'm finding perfect is not achievable--there's always some cool mods to do. :)

-Dan

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Just hold the hood open using a pair of fish scales at the support mounting point on the hood(or one person and one fish scale, keeping the hood level) to get the weight applied to the hood supports. Then add maybe 20% and go from there.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I notice the biggest bulge on the drivers side towards the front. The passenger side is actually pretty well lined up. I lowered the bumpers to make sure they were out of the way and they were. Here's what I'm seeing:

When I push down with my finger I can get it flush:

I'm not too worried about it; it might settle in heat/sun. Definitely going to get some light weight struts...

-Dan

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
Here is the way i went around the bulging struts, but if you end up finding one that works great with the lighter hoods i'm all for it. I went for free :p
http://www.celicasupra.com/forums/showthread.php?73534-84-p-type-up-keep-and-basic-mods&p=890977&viewfull=1#post890977

Mine still bow up at the sides at high speeds, tempted to toss a couple more hood pins on the sides, the ones i'm using are very low key. Suprafied ran some aerocatches on the side with good luck, can't seem to find that post though...
http://www.celicasupra.com/forums/showthread.php?73534-84-p-type-up-keep-and-basic-mods&p=876713&viewfull=1#post876713

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Car looks great - hood adds the exotic touch

·
Registered
7,090 Posts
Never seen an RS5, they must have pretty mad numbers.
The whole 5 series of Audi is really, really well drawned.
My brother have an S5 cabrio, not as nice as the hardtop, but still, very nice lines.

And yes, as Mike stated, a dream garage !

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The RS5 v8 is rated at 450hp. Torque is only at 317 as all the power is at the top end of this motor. It's a screamer with 8,200 rpm redline!

Regarding the hood, I go out this morning and it appears after the hood cooled down from being driven and in the sun, it settled. Check it out:

Cold hood:

...as compared to when it was hot:

So I guess the heat is what is causing it to bulge...

-Dan

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
I measured the weight of the hood at just under 15lb at each support point maximum as it is opened. With the hood up all the way it is closer to 10lb.

From lift support depot, I ordered two SX150P15-W struts (15 lb) and a 4 pack of AR ball studs.

I'll update when I try them out.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts