Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok. so... my brakes have gone out in my 85 mk2. i know this doesnt call for a brake upgrade, just fixing the problem but i am looking to in the somewhat near future, do an engine rebuild with more horsepower so i will need better stopping power. so i figured theres not a better time to upgrade my brakes than when they need to be fixed anyway.

what i need is what you would use to upgrade. what are my options. i want to keep stock rims. any pros/cons on drilled/slotted/vented rotors? i only saw front rotors on rabidchimp and i think i may need new calipers so where would i get new calipers?

if anyone has any info let me know. just a fyi, i looked through the brakes and suspension section and didnt see what i needed, so if i overlooked something, by all means, please post a link. i know yall hate it when the same thing gets posted repeatedly. and im tired and need to get up in a couple hours for work so i didnt check THAT thoroughly.

thanks,

danny

·
Registered
683 Posts
Use the search and for the keyword put in 'brake' or 'brakes' and right under it select 'Search Titles Only'.

Depends what you want to do with your car and how much you're willing to spend. My car is a daily driver and I think Brembo OEM blanks are good enough. I have KVR pads but I think Toyota OEM pads would also work. I also have stainless steel brake lines, you can get Technafit brand or Raptor Racing just came out with their own recently. I think Toyota still makes rebuild kits for the calipers, you can ask Mark at Vancouver Toyota about those. Or Rockauto.com usually has those kind of stuff for pretty cheap. Here's a 5% discount code that ends on August 23, 19154331611329.

·
Registered
788 Posts
there are no upgrades that fit under the stock 14's. the only thing you can do is rebuild the calipers, and get better pads and rotors. if you are planning an engine swap or a more powerful build then you are going to need to get larger rims.

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
there are no upgrades that fit under the stock 14's. the only thing you can do is rebuild the calipers, and get better pads and rotors. if you are planning an engine swap or a more powerful build then you are going to need to get larger rims.
the cressida front brakes fit under the stock front rims with some grinding. thats about it though. i think your going to have to step up to at least 16's for anything bigger then that.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok. i wasnt planning on racing the car. i just wanted the extra power in case i feel like it. lol. i should probably be good with those brembo rotors rabid chimp has. mine are about shot anyway...

my goal for the car is to have everything blacked out. windows, rims, taillights, fog lights, turn signals, everything. basically....you cant see it at night. im not gonna race it. i just want it to look damn good and have the power incase i wanna do a quarter mile with a honda between redlights or something. lol.

thanks for the input though everyone. :)

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
my goal for the car is to have everything blacked out. windows, rims, taillights, fog lights, turn signals, everything. basically....you cant see it at night.
thats not what your gonna be saying when that 18 wheeler slams into you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well the lights will be on at night. ive heard about this nightshade stuff they make to tint your taillights. im gonna try it on something else though and see how it works.

i just think it would look sweet all blacked out.

·
Registered
788 Posts
my truck is all blacked out and i like it, but i want to keep my supra stock looking for now. the niteshades spray works, but it's a pain to get right. it's not just a spray and done type of thing. to get it right and uniform it takes a few coats with wet sanding in between, and then a heavy clear coat. i did my tail lights on the truck and they came out good.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts