Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, I know this is a Mk II SUPRA forum, but I need some DSM advice. I've got a friend who is looking for a first car and has his heart set on the 97 GS-T I showed him (I was looking at it in one of my "look at other cars to scare my baby back into line" fits). Anyway, its a 97 GS-T automatic, sunroof, teal-green with tan interrior ( :roll: ugly interrior color, but in great shape). The biggest things are that it is still stock (never been riced) and it is about $2000 under kbb. Personal info is this is his first car; he has been driving for about 2 years (mostly his mothers 01 Impala LS) and needs an automatic. From what I've seen, he is a cautious driver, and just wants a car with some get-up and go for occasional use. Lets just hope that 4 years of my driving haven't influenced him for the "better":wink:

Anyway, 2 questions; how realiable is this car (no, there are no GS-Xs local), and is it to much car for him?

·
Registered
7,111 Posts
And you havent convinced him to get a MK2! :shock: What kind of a friend are you :wink: :lol:

I had a friend that got a 95 GST as his first car. He is on his second engine and second turbo. He had cranck walk and some other problems. I dont know if Mits. fixed these problems for the 97, but I would believe they did.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
well to tell the truth MITSU makes some good cars but the reliablity of the motor and turbo and including the tranny sucks... my friend is already on his second tranny and rebuilded motor due to the water pump got stuck and brock the timing belt causing the vavles to hit the pistons... and for the turbo it is just a little thing... that is just my 0.02 cens opinion

that right make him get a MK2... since your a good friend of him

That's what happened when my friends saw my car hauling ass at the string and they definately switched from HONDA/ACURA to all toyota cars now and they are all Supras too... it is just good to be the underdog :wink:

·
Administrator
7,186 Posts
Never ever buy an auto DSM. They break, are no fun to drive, and have no resale. In my opinion, there is no more to discuss. :)

Mike (had a DSM before....but it was AWD turbo 5sp)

·
Registered
13,118 Posts
Mitsu automagic trannies are crap, flat out. A friend is on his third tranny and second motor. He has allready had to have the head redone on this motor too... Imo, if he has a good job, makes a lot of money, has another car to drive when its in the shop, and doesn't mind owning the same exact car every other dood in the world owns... Go for it...

(I mean, really, did you expect to hear good things from this group about mitsus?)

--BillyM

·
Registered
655 Posts
re: 2nd Gen DSM

Well a friend of a friend had a second gen Eagle Talon. And in the short time he owned it (a year or so) he went through 2 engines (one was covered by warranty the other wasn't :mad: ). Anyways, they are nice cars but in my opinion are not very reliable.

Sonny

·
Registered
138 Posts
i had a friend with an auto DSM, it lasted 3 months, the transmission broke and he sold it :)

·
Heroic Autobot
705 Posts
I presently own a first generation Eagle Talon (1994). I've owned the car since August, and have sunk over $2,000 in keeping it on the road in that time. And this was a one owner, non-turbo car. I will never buy another Mitsubishi product, and the next time something major goes, I am having it towed straight to the junkyard so I can personally press the button having it reduced to a small cube of metal. Or maybe I'll wait 'til one of those used car places offers a "Guaranteed $2500 trade in" and then have it towed to trade in on something more reliable (perhaps a Yugo or AMC Gremlin)...

What's gone wrong? Transmission, head gasket, torque converter, head gasket (AGAIN!), assorted other small things.

All of this since August. :mad:

Must. Get. Another. MK II...

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow, didn't realize late model DSMs still had so many problems (I've heard horror stories about the earlier ones, but I thought Mitsu would have fixed it by then). I already talked him out of buying it (he couldn't afford to replace a tranny right now), so I'll see if I can find something else local (anybody want live in Salem,OR and want to sell there Mk II?)

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Malloy said:
Never ever buy an auto DSM. They break, are no fun to drive, and have no resale. In my opinion, there is no more to discuss. :)

Mike (had a DSM before....but it was AWD turbo 5sp)
This about says it all...

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Actually, now that you come to mention it, does anybody know of a Mk II for sale in the Portland area? 84-85 prefered (he always liked my cars body style more than I did, and it would be fun to have 2 Mk IIs running around this town :D )

·
Registered
9,445 Posts
Sparky,

Are you on the PacNW list??? Try & get ahold of Keith Hart. Someone in his neighborhood has a Black 86 F/S. Didn't get a chance to look & see how much they were asking. He is in the NE area of Portland, out by the Airport.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts