Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering the difference, and have had a 5MGE AFM collecting dust for the longest time.

Anyway, I plugged in the 5MGE AFM to my 88 3SGTE turbo engine to note differences. I used the SAFC to look at voltage characteristics and behavior.

3SGTE:

closed voltage 3.8
full open voltage .20

5MGE

closed voltage 4.0
full open voltage 0.00

I thought it might just plug and play, but upon running the car i noticed a big difference..

idle voltage 3sgte 2.6
idle voltage 5mge 1.8

As you can see the 5mge spring was much more soft... after tightening the spring quite a bit, i was able to get idle voltage to 2.5 on the 5MGE. However, the spring was still quite weak as any rev of the engine brought it to .5 (loads of air) and the car died from being too rich..

I tightened the spring on the 5MGE to 2 full turns of the black circle, as far as it would go.. Still too soft...

So it looks like the 5MGE has a pretty narrow tuning band and a fairly loose spring. Adding the 5MGE AFM had an effect of the computer thinking there was too much air. If you were to put the 3SGTE AFM on a 5MGE, the computer would think there is not enough air. This might open options up for injector upgrades and turbo upgrades. Someone would have to try the 3SGTE AFM on the 5MGE to find out. The only problem with the computer thinking there is not enough air is the advanced timing that would go along with it.

You should be able to get MR2 VPC modified to work on 5MGE. Anyway, that was my fun for the day, I thought I would share.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Actually, the 5M AFM SHOULD read 5 volts closed and 0 fully open.... Also, isn't the 3S-GTE a Karmen Vortex type AFM, not a flapper type like the mk II?

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The 5M spec is 4-5 volts closed per TSRM. Looks like this one was borderline!

3SGTE is the same exact style of flapper.. the body and internals are smaller, but the internal diamter of the air flow area is the same. Just think of it as an updated version of the same thing.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Hmmm.. I thought Toyota went to all KV type AFM's oin their late 80's Turbos, excluding the 22R-TE...

So I am guessing your trying to find a similar AFM in a larger size for your 3S-GTE? I dunno if it is possible, but have you thought about maybe swapping the internals of your 3S AFM to the 5M housing...ala the Lexus AFM upgrade for the mk III?

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The internal area (where the air goes through) is not bigger on the 5MGE. I just wanted to see how similar they were since I saw all of the MAF conversion talk.

It was just something to do ! Once you get to know me more, you'll find that I do relatively odd experiments on Toyotas :)

·
Registered
141 Posts
The AFM in my '90 truck looks identical to the 5mge also. This is from the v6 3vze engine. Maybe I will play around a bit with it and see what happens.

·
Registered
793 Posts
I have one from a 3SFE, anyone know the volt specs or if it is the same as the 3SGTE one? So far as I know, the main difference in 3sfe and 3sgte is the gte was in the turbo celicas, where 3sfe was in standard celicas and camrys (where I got mine from). That would be nice if they worked the same, then I could try the AFM mod and not kill my only afm I have if I screw up! :)

-Ken

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
SlimFastSupra said:
It was just something to do ! Once you get to know me more, you'll find that I do relatively odd experiments on Toyotas :)
Tinkering just for the sake of tinkering... I can definately understand that...

·
Registered
151 Posts
alright.... toyota only supplied the karman vortex to a limited engines like the 7mgte, 2jzgte (2jzge not sure), V8 lexus.... while the other toyotas live the older v6 camry and 3.0L 4runner still use the flapper type... that is also including the 3SFE and the I/II gen 3SGTE while the 5SFE, III gen 3SGTE, and other engines after that is all map sensor.... 4AGE's has the flapper but to my knowledge and experience working on a Toyota dealership..... the Supra has the biggest internal bore of the flapper type AFM on the toyota family in the US market.... I am not sure about the JDM market.... our austrilian friends might dip in the discussion for the japanese line up

·
Super Moderator
8,395 Posts
2JZGTEs are MAFs like most modern Toyotas. 2JZGEs use the KV meter (expect of 97 or 98 and up which are MAF)

·
Super Moderator
8,395 Posts
Umm you are probably not going to find the answer in a 6 year old thread on the wrong forum

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.