·
Premium Member
7,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
7,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
On a stock 5mge the AFM mod is NOT recommended period.

Makes a difference with my mods going from stock setting to 3 clicks.

For your 5MGE I would first remove the snorkle and de-panel the air filter housing, then add a drop in K+N filter or get a cone filter setup from Rabid Chimp. Intake pipe would also be beneficial!!

Then change your timing to 11-12 degrees (Stock is 10)

Then try one click being very careful NOT to let the wheel spin out of your hand. You may notice a performance increase or decrease??

*** remember that opening/tampering with the AFM is considered a violation of most states emission laws***

supraman_82 said:
Was there a noticable difference? How much should I do with a stock 5mge? It does have exhuast though.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
would this mod be ok for a 6MGE with rabid chimp intake, and straight through exhaust,

Thanks in advance,

·
Premium Member
7,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was using 3 clicks before the RC intake and TB. I would mod the air filter/housing if you havent already then start at one click and go from there.

supra83mkii said:
would this mod be ok for a 6MGE with rabid chimp intake, and straight through exhaust,

Thanks in advance,

·
BIG BOSS HOSS
4,460 Posts
supraman_82 said:
Was there a noticable difference? How much should I do with a stock 5mge? It does have exhuast though.
Hardly. I never noticed anything.

I always thought that the clockwise postion (lean) would give you a few more HP not rich...

·
Registered
25 Posts
modification to the afm mod

I have not tried this but on paper...it works. It seems posible to make a driver adjustable A/F switch using this mod. First, adjust your AFM to run a little rich, then splice a 2k ohm variable resistor into the AFM wire to the computer. Consult a factory wiring diagram to find which wire to hack into. The resistor will lower the voltage on the signal and turn the mixture from rich to more stoichiometric. Place it somewhere in your dash and viola!! one sick mod. Look out apexi and Field!! LOL. Now you will be able to dial in your mixture depending on conditions and future mods. The only other thing you would need is an air fuel gauge to know what the hell your doing. Im sure somebody else has done this before, but i cannot find any info. Have any of you done this, and are willing to share your specific application instrucions with me? Thanks

·
Registered
501 Posts
Re: modification to the afm mod

I had the AFM mod done on a stock 6m, and the results to me seemed similar as when I added a large intake and 2.5" hi flow cat and catback. I forget how many clicks it was, I think like 2-3 stock, maybe 4 after the breathing mods. In both cases, the difference was hard for me to feel at WOT, but throttle response was definitely improved.

I bet you'd notice the same thing on a 5m, but it's arguable if you'd make (or lose) any more power.

NORCALDREW said:
I have not tried this but on paper...it works. It seems posible to make a driver adjustable A/F switch using this mod. First, adjust your AFM to run a little rich, then splice a 2k ohm variable resistor into the AFM wire to the computer. Consult a factory wiring diagram to find which wire to hack into. The resistor will lower the voltage on the signal and turn the mixture from rich to more stoichiometric. Place it somewhere in your dash and viola!! one sick mod. Look out apexi and Field!! LOL. Now you will be able to dial in your mixture depending on conditions and future mods. The only other thing you would need is an air fuel gauge to know what the hell your doing. Im sure somebody else has done this before, but i cannot find any info. Have any of you done this, and are willing to share your specific application instrucions with me? Thanks
If you do that on the AFM output wire, you need to put a voltage follower before your pot or you'll load the divider in the AFM's pot and get some weird output voltage. You could just slap a pot on the +5v line from the ECU to the AFM if you wanted, though, to lean things out. I dunno how many people do that, but I do know many have put a pot in line with the coolant temp sensor to richen mixtures

Shiva

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
I'd like to know too.

On a side note I'd like a cockpit idle adjustment too...

will

·
Premium Member
7,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The late Pat Braden has this mod in the Toyota Performance Handbook.

I'll try to post it or scan a copy to Stephen :wink:

supra_toy said:
I'd like to know too.

On a side note I'd like a cockpit idle adjustment too...

will

·
Registered
501 Posts
I don't know where the site for the coolant temp mod is. But just find one of the wires going to the sensor up on the thermostat housing (the coolant temp sensor is the smaller of the two), and cut it. One end of the cut wire should hook to one terminal on a pot, the other to the wiper terminal of the pot. I'm not sure what sort of pot they use... I'd try a 2kohm first.

For cockpit idle control... to raise it, maybe run a vacuum line into the cockpit to a bleeder valve, then out to a small filter? You could control how big the vacuum leak is with the valve. It might just make your idle crappy, but maybe it'll actually just raise it. If it gets crappy maybe you could mess with the coolant temp pot to richen the mixture up, smooth things out, and probably raise the idle speed even more

Shiva

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
So I see that you should go about 4 to 5 Teeth with Adjustment.

Ok. What Kind of Adjustment would you use if you are going turbo, with a W.255 Fuel Pump, and 295cc Injectors just to get things started or recommended settings.

thanks
Robert

Supraguy31
Currently in Iraq for 25 more Days :D

·
Registered
96 Posts
Has this mod withstood the test of time? Is it still a viable option?

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
I have two afm's, one with, one without mod...I like the added throttle response (5mge w intake/exhaust). Def peppier, but makes a difference at the pumps, runs slightly warmer too.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have two afm's, one with, one without mod...I like the added throttle response (5mge w intake/exhaust). Def peppier, but makes a difference at the pumps, runs slightly warmer too.
I'm not too worried about the fuel mileage as it's my autocross car, but the warmer temps does. It already runs too warm late in a race day.

Thanks for the quick response!

·
Registered
113 Posts
first of all it shouldn't be treated as a modification, simply an adjustment for your modifications and Atmospheric environments. You wouldn't consider advancing your timing a "mod" or retarding your timing a mod either. to suggest that you could add higher exhaust and intake flow and not adjust it is crazy.of course you will have to adjust ignition timing properly as well. It's all a set up issue, not a video game where you just go to Stage 2 or 3. lol
keep in mind the AFM is only effective under 4000 RPM anyway. Anything after that it's all precalculated by the computer

1 - 18 of 18 Posts