• Sign me up, I'll take more than one!!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
21 - 40 of 256 Posts

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
The total cost, if you got everything (which isn't manditory) would be $454.00 plus some shipping, with the Mk IV MAF's I have sourced.

The Ford MAF's, according to Jamie Bergen, are about $120 for a recnditioned one from most parts stores... which is about $60 more than the Mk IV ones I have found. You have to decide of the headache of getting a Mk IV MAF connectorand wiring it in is worth the $60 your saving.

I am NOT suppling ANY of the MAF's BTW. I have found someone who has 8 of the Mk IV MAF's for $60 each ($50 each if we take all of them), and I am just passing along his contact info to you.

That Laptop should be ok for tuning. If ya can, go online and update all the drivers and software, as well as the windows version though, to make sure you have no problems. Marc says that any Windows version from 95 on up will work fine, so long as it has the latest updates available to it.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I believe the dyno was put on hold since the guy is having trouble keeping his car running right now...

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I spoke to Marc today. Got some good info and bad....

The good info first.

The MAF sensor they used on Jason's car is a Ford MAF from a 96-97 Cougar or Thunderbird. The part number on it is F6SZ12B579AARM. Its a FOrd Part Number. Thats the 3" they offer. The 3.5" they offer is from a 96 Ford Cobra. I don't have the part number, but I would imagine that just about any that would fit it would work. I would SERIOUSLY recommend that you get one from a junkyard, as I checked into it at parts dealers, and there is a standard $75 core charge from Ford Dealers on these. I even negotaited a price on the SPlit Second 3" MAF's if you do not want to be bothered with searching for one of your own. The 3" MAF he can give us for $180.

Another good thing is, I will be doing up shipping quotes and emailing them and PMing them to everyone who contacted me within the next day or so.

Now, here's the bad news.

Marc had given me the distinct impression that the connector for the MAF came with the kit. Today, he tells me that he is willing to "sell" them to me at just above his cost... $50 above and beyond the box. Now, to say that this pissed me off a little bit is something of an understatement :mad: .. as I distinctly asked, "With the PSC1 box, and a MAF sensor, they will have everything they require to have this work, right?" So after a bit of rather harsh negotiations, I got him to lower it to $35. The upside is, that its a custom harness for us, and all we do is cut the wires to length and connect them to the box, mount the box, and cut the wires that go into the ECU from the old AFM, and connect them to the box.

Well... I am not one to let well enough alone, so I made some calls. The actual connector itself is availble from Ford Dealers for between $18 and $22. I think I could maybe get a better price on them if I bought a bulk of them. Add on another $5 for some wire, solder and heat shrink wrap, and thats better than $35.

I thought I was crystal clear with Marc on this, but I guess not. I seriously apologise to everyone on this one, as I really feel I made a MAJOR screw up here. :oops: Let me know what you guys want... If you want a harness or if you want to source the connector yourself, or whatever else you wanna do... Even this aside, I still feel its a good deal and I still feel it will be a major boon to us.

I'm still working on a source for more of the Ford MAF's and connectors... I'll let ya all know what I find... tho from what I am seeing, the U-Pull-it junkyards are gonna be the cheapest...

seriously pissed and embarressed,
Bob

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Supra Bob said:
Well... I am not one to let well enough alone, so I made some calls. The actual connector itself is availble from Ford Dealers for between $18 and $22. I think I could maybe get a better price on them if I bought a bulk of them. Add on another $5 for some wire, solder and heat shrink wrap, and thats better than $35.
Bob, I think that I speak for the majority when I say that this is probably the best solution to the problem. That or letting us have the part number.. You're doing a good job man. Don't sweat the little things, we all know you have to be prepared to shell out the dough to modify our cars..

-Andrew.. Who can't wait to recieve his conversion kit.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Andrew..there really isn't a part number on the connector. Just tell them you need the connector for a 1996 Cougar's MAF sensor, and they should have it. Engine size will not matter as both engines use the same MAF

·
Premium Member
1,963 Posts
Hey Bob, it's a minor thing, really don't worry about it. I'm sure all of us willing to spend the $$ for this mod won't sweat a few more $$. Anyone who complains should try putting together a group buy on a one-off product like this. Great job !

On that MAF from Marc, is it a new Ford unit or is it a re-manuf unit like what we can get at parts stores for $120. Maybe it's possible to get a unit from a pick n pull but I sorta like the starting off with new approach (or re-manuf). The parts stores say 1 yr warranty.

I wouldn't mind some soldering or shrink wrapping, but would prefer to get all the parts from Marc, at least if something doesn't fit or whatever we can call him.

Yes, we are all waiting on Jasons dyno this Saturday !

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Parts supplies preliminary search

Did some research on parts at my local. Advance auto/Discount/Shucks whatever, Here's what I found.

96 T-Bird
MAS A1-Cardone 74-9539 $92.99 plus $35 Core
Temp Sensor GP Sorensen 779-19029 $16.49

96 Cobra
MAS A1-CArdone 74-9524 $107.99 plus $35 Core
same temp sensor.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Supra Bob said:
Andrew..there really isn't a part number on the connector. Just tell them you need the connector for a 1996 Cougar's MAF sensor, and they should have it. Engine size will not matter as both engines use the same MAF
Oh I know, I was just saying either do a bulk buy OR give us the part number so that we can get it from our local dealer.. :)

-Andrew

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Well, while I am not gonna say to or not to buy certain parts from Split Second, I just got my MAF sensor from a U-pull it yard, with connector for $60. What you guys do is up to you, just let me know what ya want and if it involves some action on my part (which I am more than willing to do)I'll make sure its sitting in your box when I send it to you. :)

The MAF's that are from S/S are remanufactured Ford MAF's, that have had the mounting feet machined off. I removed mine with a die grinder in about 5 minutes.

So just let me know exactly what ya want, and I will do it :)

Bob

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Just wanted to add in here, Thanks to Chris C. (known on here as Flyin Hawaiian) for taking some time to create a Microsoft Access Database to help me track the order and keep everyone's info straight! His efforts have made my life ALOT easier!!

:D :D

thanks bud!

Also, one thing I forgot from the other day.

Once the money is sent in, the kits should be back to me within 2 weeks. I'll need a day or two to repackage and get them back out, and the will be sending them to you Priority mail, which means you should have them within 2 to 4 days. The couple of you outside the US, it may take a day or two longer to get them.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Anyone have any issues or comments regarding this after seeing Jason's results on the dyno? How difficult is it going to be to actually tune one of these properly?

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
82Spearco said:
Anyone have any issues or comments regarding this after seeing Jason's results on the dyno? How difficult is it going to be to actually tune one of these properly?
I've gotten some trepidation from a couple of people. Tuning isn't gonna be all that hard, its just a matter of getting through the learning curve and figuring out exactly what kinds of adjustments, in what kinds of steps. Being as this isn't a very widely used product, dyno shops are going to a bit more conservative with each adjustement they make. I think once we get one baseline dyno tuned program established for everyone to use, it will be better easier to adjust for each mod... Jason was definately on the correct track with his adjustments, but he just ran out of dnyo time.

A couple of related notes...

From the following people I need a full address:
Mike Webber, Jeff Sawyer, and Jaosn Arnold.

From everyone, with the exception of Chris Clement, I need a phone number that I can contact you at... in case of problems or other issues.

And when you send payment, please include on a piece of paper, a list of exactly what your ordering and your shipping info.. just so I can re-confirm what I have.

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
Granatelli? Injector sizing question

Hi, guys,

I have 182's and will be going to 295's on the 7MGE in my '85.
The Granatelli web site lists a bunch of different Ford MAF's but list pounds for the injector size. Does anyone know how to get from cc to pounds? :?:

Thanks,

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Andrew, I was actually planning on posting this tonight anyway :)

I Have recieved payment from the following people:
Andrew Wilmut
Chris Clement
Jeff Sawyer
Barry Mason
Wesley Hetrick

The following people have told me that they want to be a part of this buy, but I have not yet recieved money:
Mike Webber
Rowdy Alban
Josh Rapier
Chad Zemer
Don Lew
Michael Ashcraft
George Tsatalbasidis
Matt Eakins
Matt Acetola

If I haven't listed your name above, PM me, and let me know to add your name. In your PM, make sure to give me your COMPLETE mailing address, a telephone number I can call you at in case of emergency, and exactly what you want to order.

If I listed your name above, and you have changed your mind, please let me know so I can remove your name from the list. If you have sent payment and I haven't receieved it yet, PM me and let me know.

Just a reminder...This Firday, April 4th, is the deadline for payment. If I receieve your payment after that, I cannot garentee that you will be included in the purchase...

21 - 40 of 256 Posts