I am interested..Count me in!!

• Sign me up, I'll take more than one!!

Votes: 0 0.0%
61 - 80 of 256 Posts

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
'82 AFM

Bob, any developments on the '82 AFM question? I haven't got confirmation from anyone. Will says it is reversed, Dave Anders seems to think the voltage readings are the same....anyone know anything concrete on this?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
No, I haven't gotten any word one way or another... but I am holding the order until its confirmed one way or the other... Anyone have an 82 TSRM?

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Chad, incase you missed the PM I sent.. We are good. Dave A confirmed it's the same on a TSRM.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Hey, Bob- any idea on what the largest injectors you could run with this MAF kit would be? Any word on if it will work with an '82 style AFM?

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Based on comparing the '82 and '83 TSRM's, and analysis from Jamie, the '82 AFM operates on the opposite voltage from the '83+ AFM's. According to Jamie, this would actually make it easier for a converter to work on my car. Check her post on the thread where you asked for help regarding the '82 AFM. Can you check with SS and see if they have something that would work? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Chad,

I've been trying to contact Split second for three days now, and they don;t seem to like to answer their phones or return calls. Soon as I know something, I'll call you.

·
Registered
793 Posts
didn't ya know? California work schedules are a little different than most. You see, most people here think that you should be closed for Passover and of course, today is Good Friday! I wouldn't count on Monday too much either Bob! I do like being off for 5 days in a row though, so I guess I won't complain too much here...

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
Jeeze louise... I had to sell my soul, my first born and my mother just to get Sunday off so I could spend Easter with my family...

God I need to get a new job... :?

Also, Chad, Dave A is still sayin that the 82 is the same as the rest.... I know Jamie is sayin its different. Any way we can find out for sure this weekend? Anyone have an 82 and a volt meter?

·
Registered
351 Posts
I've got an '82 and a volt meter......what do I need to do?

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
OK, here's the final word thus far.

The 82 is infact different than 83 and up in as far as them AFM's workings. It is a non inverted signal, which means that at fully closed, its a 0 volt signal and fully open its a 5 volt signal, and graduated in between. This is the exact opposite of what the 83 and up does. This, however is not the end of the world, as they make a kit for this. It's part number is PSC1-004.

Chad, Marc agreed to give me one at the $250 price.

Sam, as far as the injector size, I can't say for sure, but I would imagine it would be limited by how short of an injector pulse you could have and still maintain proper fuel atomization.

The order is in. The cashiers check is on it's way. Whats more, shipping came in a decent amount under the estimated shipping, so everyone should be getting a few dollars back. I'll have a better idea once I have the stuff, and everyone's stuff is boxed up and ready to go. It should be about $5.00 or so.

Also, a word of apology. The order went in a few days later than I said, but it was somewhat out of my hands. Between verifying the 82 AFM differences and a little trip to the Emergency room for me on Monday Morning kinda delayed things a bit. However, the shipping came in under what was quoted and thats with 3 day airmail instead of ground. So, as soon as the gear arrives to me, I will let you all know and have it out to you ASAP.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Thanks for all you work on this Bob. And I apologize to everyone for being a pain in the ass with my '82 :)

I can wait to get this installed along with the Wide-band O2 :!:

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
No Sweat Chad. You actually weren't the only person with an 82. There's one other person also :)

As for the work.. yeah, its alot to organize...but an you believe I am thinking about organizing a buy on their timing controllers too?? Just waiting to find out more info on them.

LOL! I must be sick..

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Timing Controllers... Variably controlled timing based on vacuum/boost? Doesn't MSD and Jacobs offer these? Keep us posted on this further development. Hope us '82ers aren't a pain in the ass again with our vacuum advance distributors...

·
Registered
351 Posts
Supra Bob said:
As for the work.. yeah, its alot to organize...but an you believe I am thinking about organizing a buy on their timing controllers too?? Just waiting to find out more info on them.
Timing controller? These wouldn't, by any chance, work with a vacuum advance setup, would they? :D Inquirining minds NEED to know.

·
Registered
255 Posts
boost retard

I have a msd boost retard control and works perfect.Set at 1 psi to 1 degree of retard with max retard 15 drgrees and run 15 psi,you can set the psi to degree to come on sooner (less power)but can't exceed 15 degree of retard.Also msd rev (no more 9000 rpms,7500 now gotta love those carillo rods)control and 6a box

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
Oh..I know about that. I have one too :)

I was thinking the one they had was a map programable one tho... which they do have, but its part of what looks to be an almost stand alone system with crank and cam sensors and a 2 bar MAP sensor... which is
a) more work than I want right now
b) more money than I wanna fork out right now
and c) redundant for me as I just got a MAF converter from them.

With a Map programable timing curve, you could optimize your timing thru the whole curve, instead of just at idle and WOT/Max boost.

As for you 82 guys looking to adjust your timing... you can buy a kit with the different springs and weights and use them to adjust your advance.

·
Premium Member
1,969 Posts
Any updates from Jason regarding his kit ? Any improvements or further refinements to pass on to us in waiting ?

Don L.

61 - 80 of 256 Posts