Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have an 82' w/ a 6mgte not many upgrades besides profec-b boost control hks turbo timer hks MHG port intake plenum, cartech rrfpr, i believe thats it.
my question for you guys is about the AFM.........
i know many of you *mgte guys usualy turn the AFM knob a few clicks, i believe clockwise (please correct me if im wrong)

how many clicks would you guys suggest :?:

wuts the main purpose of this mod, besides the door on the AFM being slightly opened more (is it just more air this mod provides) :?:

and also wut is your guys experience w/ this mod, such as performance, reliability,........ect. :?: :?: :?:

thanks agian for all your guys knowlege
it is greatly appreciated
tim-

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
The idea behind the AFM mod is to fool the negine into thinking its getting more or less air than it is. This causes the ECU to think that the car needs more fuel (in the case of more air) or less fuel (in the case of less air)... or in other words, it helps you adjust the air fuel mix. Some say they have noticed some throttle reponse from it, but to my knowledge, theres never been any dyno testing to show any gains.

Most of the 5/6M-GTE guys who do this are generally using 295 CC injectors, and need to lean out the fuel to make it idle right...

·
Premium Member
5,681 Posts
So if you have mods on your 5/6mge to improve breathing, ie cone filter, bigger intake pipe, bored out throttle body, headers, freeflow exhaust, etc - you will want to adjust the air fuel mix to give it a little more fuel to match the extra air you are getting in.
If you've gone with bigger injectors for your 5/6mgte turbo you're gonna be running rich and want to adjust the air fuel mix the other way to give it less fuel when not in boost and add a air fuel computer to adjust mix for boost conditions.
So back when I put the mods in I mentioned in the first paragragh, I moved it 3 teeth one way and this winter when I go turbo I will need to go back the other way about 11-12 teeth when I put in the bigger 7mge injectors.

·
Super Moderator
8,821 Posts
Supra Bob said:
....theres never been any dyno testing to show any gains.
+5rwhp IIRC on my NA car. Note that every car is different and I would only suggest doing it on a dyno.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
also when u use large inj remember to open afm bypass more (maybe all the way) so afm tells ecu that it's getting less air at idle than it is.

imo extra 5 hp is coming from afm flap opening an extra degree or so
cause spring force is less. 5 hp seems a lot???

1 - 5 of 5 Posts