Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
I just bought a Fidanza aluminum flywheel for the 5M/7M from alamomotorsports.com, its listed in the specials/clearance section. It hasn't arrived yet so I don't know the quality, but I only paid $260 shipped. I think it normally it sells for about $350. Good luck.

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just wanna say 1 thing :drool: :drool: :drool: lol Make that 3 things lol any ways they look realy nice but do they fit in a 83 supra?

By the way zankone do you own one of the 2? I kinda like the one with the black ring but as my mama aways sead "buy the most costly one and get your moneys worth" lol

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
ts-okinawa said:
...but I only paid $260 shipped...
:shock: Nice deal! I paid 330 w/o ship. Normal retail is ~440.

Fidanza fly's are NICE. I have one sitting under my clutch waiting for my 6M! I obviously don't have it installed but the quality is very good. Replaceable steel face for the clutch. See avatar for baby pic....the only thing a SonyEricsson camera phone is good for: Avatars.

Nick

·
Registered
129 Posts
What material is the factory flywheel, or perhaps a 7M's. I only ask because perhaps it would be a bit cheaper to mill down a used flywheel, resurface it, and while it may still be heavier than aftermarket it won't sacrafice street-ability.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Well, I mean how if you're sitting at a light and pull out slowly you don't have to rev much to get the power going and break the tires loose. While a lightweight flywheel will free up mass and allow for a nicer transfer of torque in lower gears, it's lower mass creates less inertia at the same rotating speed.

In order to make up the difference in the energy that is produced by the rotational inertia of the flywheel, you will need to rev higher than you would normally in order to create the same energy. Your vehicle will always require a certain amount of force in order to move from a stop. "An object will remain at rest until acted upon by an outside force." In order to produce enough force your motor uses gear ratios to multiply the torque created by the motor and your flywheel stores the energy as inertia. If you reduce the mass of the rotating flywheel you reduce the energy that it has at a certain rate of rotation.

This is where "street-ability" may suffer. If you don't rev high enough to produce the energy to move the car forward, then you could stall and look like an ass. If you rev too high in an effort to produce enough energy then you may spin the tires and look like an ass. You may need to relearn stop and go driving with a new flywheel.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
DriftMe said:
You may need to relearn stop and go driving with a new flywheel.
Then you relearn it. No biggie. The benefits here IMO outweigh the "downside" of relearning.

Just my $.02

Nick

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
DriftMe said:
It's not that bad, really. Very managable. Any issues I've had I attribute more to the ACT 6 puck clutch that I installed with Fidanza flywheel (and 7MGTE). Although I've since learned that the aluminum flywheel may make any issues with this clutch worse.

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
I'll find out how it works out for my Solo1 race car. I ordered mine on Saturday from Alamomotorsports.com. The 10lb flywheel with 4.56 gears should make things really interesting for the short hills.

Joe B.

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
FWDsux said:
DriftMe said:
Then you relearn it. No biggie. The benefits here IMO outweigh the "downside" of relearning.

Just my $.02

Nick
i guess that depends on ones tolerance for stop and go driving, and how stop and go it is.

i like my stock flywheel just fine when im putting through downtown at 5pm rush hour and it takes me 5 minutes to go one block :)

me thinks once i can afford to insure both vehicles at the same time, and just use my supra for an after work vehicle, then ill get a lightened flywheel, and other semistreetable mods.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
I fianlly got my 6M done and I installed the Fidanza and a new clutch at the same time. Not really sure what part of the difference is the torquey 6M or the Fidanza, but 1st 2nd to 3rd gears are over pretty fast. The motor likes to rev quick....in neutral too. Shifting as fast as I can from high revs lands me right where it should be instead of slipping the clutch to bring the engine's revs down. Streetability isn't hurt hardly at all. Just like I said above, you gotta relearn some stuff. The engine revs quicker....Up AND down. So your shifting changes a bit. Biggest thing I've noticed that sucks is, when stuck in stop and go traffic, I have to resist the urge to go though 1st, 2nd as fast as I can! :twisted:

I also haven't noticed any of this so-called "Chatter." The stock flywheel is 20 lbs and undampened; the Fidanza is 10 lbs and is also undampened.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
That I cannot say because I've got the "new" 6M and not my extremely tired 5M. :)

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
She's getting there. I get my rims sometime in December! 8)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts