Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
I didn't realize there was a HID kit for the MK2?

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
not to sound like an ass, but good! ill be glad to see HID light kits go off market.

ive been glare blinded enough times already, hopefully this will reduce some of that.

for those of you who disagree with me... sure, being blinded isnt bad in a car, if you do bump something, oh dear, youve damaged your car.
me... well, i laid a motorbike down, i was hit so bad by the glare, and probably would have lost a leg, if not for proper safety gear.

im all for improved lighting on a car, as long as its done properly, and doesnt blind oncoming drivers... 99% of the HID kits (the ones you see) ARENT properly installed, and thats why you can see them, because they are shining right into your eyes.
no headlight should be aimed at another driver, yet it never occurs to the people installing them that perhaps they should adjust the things before taking them out on the highway and firing them up.

aaaaaanny ways, im gonna shut up now, im sure your all tired of reading this.

·
Registered
13,117 Posts
I didn't want to say anything, but hes right. I really really dispise aftermarket bulbs and or hid kits. If you want light, get a higher highbeam, but these asses with 85watt lowbeams are really getting on my nerves. Imo, stay below 55watts on a lowbeam, and make sure those things are aimed correctly.

Muerte la ricerbulbs.

--BillyN
Viva La 55(L)/100(H)watt bulbs.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
_HOT_M16 said:
I didn't want to say anything, but hes right. I really really dispise aftermarket bulbs and or hid kits. If you want light, get a higher highbeam, but these asses with 85watt lowbeams are really getting on my nerves. Imo, stay below 55watts on a lowbeam, and make sure those things are aimed correctly.

Muerte la ricerbulbs.

--BillyN
Viva La 55(L)/100(H)watt bulbs.
Honestly...I agree with both of you on this. I have aftermarket Hella E-code H4 Halogens on my car. They are properly adjusted, and have 55/100 bulbs in them. I'm very pleased with the light pattern, and the fact that if the bulb blows, I just remove it from the housing and put in another bulb. I ditched the sealed beams two years ago (per Malloy's suggestion) and I've been happy ever since.

·
Registered
172 Posts
actually, I'm one of the jerks with the 85/100 bulbs. I don't get any negative feedback tho. No one flashes their brights at me. Perhaps it's because they're installed right and shine towards the ground! I can't stand the civic with lights up in my face. But the worst are SUV's and Truck's angles. They shine streight ahead, not towards the ground. They get right in my eyes, every time. Especially when they upgrade those bulbs to the EXTREME. I wouldn't mind as much if there were some kind of law against HIDs in taller vehicles.

But they can't ban HID lights outright..... all the mercedes come with 'em from the factory, and the S2000 has 'em stock, too.

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
im pretty sure theyre just banning the aftermarket for them, and the non OEM use sale of the factory lights.

·
Registered
13,117 Posts
You guys who dont mind the 85watt low's must not live in a very hill-ey area. I live in east TN, right on the mountains, and all the roads are like rollercoasters, and the worst thing is to be coming around a corner and get one in the eyes. They may be installed correctly, but what the hell do you need 85watts on your lowbeams for? That is the reason they have highbeams...

--BillyM
Expect the flash and the finger if you ever pass me on a backroad.

Stock HID's are usually done really well, s2k's dont bother me one iota, though one car in the mercedes line had its hid's poorly designed and glare quite a bit.

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
lol, i agree with hot_m16 about the 85 watt lowbeams... if you come up here and flash me by coming over a blind hill... ill flash you back, but i guarantee you wont wanna see those KC daylighters behind the grill.

theyre bright as day, and aimed for goofing around on dirt roads when i know no ones coming... AKA they point at each side of the road about 200 feet ahead of me.

they also have one of those "military" covered switches, with a cotter pin in it so i dont accidentally flash someone.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Well, living in Tulsa, OK, there's plenty of hills. Plenty. Something there isn't alot of on many streets are lights. The expressways always seem to get long stretches of burned out lights. I really need some light here and there to see what's on the road. The roads are just terrible here with potholes and dips, plus other things I can't see with the stock bulbs.

When I turn them on, they don't shine into the other cars. Especially if I don't ease right up on some other cars ass at a light. They're just standard white, not fancy blue and such. The only real problem is big trucks and SUVs. Only the occasional civic has their lights angled towards people's eyes. When I follow a friend at night, I always ask if the lights got in their eyes.... they have yet to be blinded. I also don't seem to blind police cars, either, as far as I can tell.

I learned quickly about tall cars at stoplights.... my back window is tinted a deep black so it doesn't bother me.

·
Registered
667 Posts
This does not make any sense

Why wouyld we ban somthing because there are idiots that arent installing them properly. Should we bad cars because there are bad drivers??

""im all for improved lighting on a car, as long as its done properly, and doesnt blind oncoming drivers... 99% of the HID kits (the ones you see) ARENT properly installed.""

I see fog lamps mounted above bumpers and aimed up too high, why dont we ban those too!!

I bothers me that so many rights, privileges and freedoms are being taken away from the masses because of the ignorant few. Whats next?

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
because foglights dont cause nearly as much glare...

you ever see any magazine articles where they install a HID kit?
most of them post pics of the lighting pattern and compare it to stock, its an easy 2-4x longer ranged and a fair bit wider with most of the HID install articles ive seen...

brighter lights aimed poorly causes more glare and more accidents.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Yes! :D Ban the damn fog lights too. Now we are finally getting some where. Most folks have them on when they are not needed anyway. A lot of the OEM's are set and forget, so they come on when the lights are turned on. If you turn them off, you will notice almost zero illumination difference in normal driving. Who cares if the road 10ft in front of the car is better lit? The glare to oncoming traffic is dangerous. Laws evolve as common sense becomes more uncommon. If we act stupid, we get stupid laws.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Does this mean they will stop selling the kits from like classicgarage that have the nonsealed headlight conversions? Even if they have the old yellowish lights I'd still rather have bulbs to replace instead of lamps.

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
no, those are halogen lights, which are very different than HID lights, which stands for high intensity discharge.

its like night and day, lol

·
Registered
178 Posts
ahh... did a couple hours reading last night. Read through both threads totalling 9 pages of junk plus every single link there which was like 15 or so. Also read a bunch of reports and studies on hologen vs HID and other sites dealing with lighting.

First off, there's a couple reasons that HID's cause more glare or seem to, there are a few more but they weren't as important.
1. The higher heat intensity, which gives them thier white or blue colour, gives off a shorter wavelength than the yellowish lights. This is not as easy on the eyes and causes more strain and a "sun" effect. Also the higher heat intensity gives off far more lumens than a halogen at the same wattage making them brighter.
2. The light pattern on HID's is a crecent shape which has a distinct contrast between lit and unlit area. This causes a great deal more glare when on turns and hills to other drivers, causing a "flashing" effect as the other drivers come in and out of the lights beam. Hologens have a cylindrical effect where there is a gradual increase of intensity from the far outside of the beam pattern to the center. This makes for a gradual increase in intensity, therefore no "flashing" as oncoming traffic will gradually come into the beam.
This in addition to poor quality installs from shops/self install kits, poorly adjusted headlights, and high wattage bulb installs in hologen casings are causing a problem for other drivers, not to mention the more lumens per wattage of HID's vs halogens.

Also in comparisons with oem HID's vs oem halogens the average lighting distance between them is about the same. A high quality set of halogens will actually outperform HID's in depth. The cylindrical light shape of the hologens can shine further down a road. These characteristics will also limit flashing/blinding as they shine the majority of the light down the road and graduate towards the sides. To have a HID shine at that same distance of a halogen, or try to improve on a stock halogen system, would be blinding oncomming traffic for sure, which is what we all see.
Generally what makes HID's "seem" to light better is that they have a wider beam pattern, the bluish/white light seems brighter, and higher heat intesity and lumens at given wattage. Most all the comparisons and positive comments on HID's and the like were because of the wider pattern. This gives the false impression of being a better lighting system. Seeing these areas of the roads only provides a better driving light for under 30mph, fog lights give the same impression by lighting the road nearby and to the sides. This is actually a negative aspect of the HID's. Although providing a safer driving light under 30mph this causes a more dangerous light at higher speeds, not only for other drivers but yourself. Lighting the unnecessary areas of the road causes more light to enter your eyes that is not needed. This causes your pupils to be more dilated than with standard halogens causing your view distance to actually be LESS than with a hologen that lights at the SAME distance, not to mention the blueish/white light causing more dilation.

I'd post more but I ramble too much as it is, lol.

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
nice post luva...

ive just always hated the aftermarket ones, never really had a scientific reason why, besides the dislike of being blinded.
one more debate topic :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts