Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Images are small on photobucket but you get the idea.

Megan Racing 24x12x3" Intercooler

2.5" aluminized steel mandrel bent hard pipes

had to take a chunk out of the strut bar bracket

cut, turn, weld........dont know why this image wasn't resized

Bosch 110 BOV

The car

the info

custom one-off Rob Staines (1984-2006 R.I.P. buddy) shift knob

also bigger image, wish they were all like this

and a quick shot of the custom 3" side-exit exhaust with resonator

Big difference going from no intercooler to huge ass intercooler.

Let me know if any of you want any of these in full size.

·
Registered
121 Posts
almost the same as mine.. same intercooler and a bit different on the piping as i have a front mount throttle body.

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
very good. I give you extra points for the all business bosch (no funky $250 bov), and the clean coil pack cover.

That is basically what my "kit" would look like, it is basically my style of IC piping, I like it!

Did you make it yourself?

·
Registered
870 Posts
Nice setup. Nice shifter knob, too! The only thing I question is the IC mounting bottom brackets to the front spoiler lip. Is that lip sturdy enough? I'd rather mount to something more solid.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
935motorsports said:
very good. I give you extra points for the all business bosch (no funky $250 bov), and the clean coil pack cover.

That is basically what my "kit" would look like, it is basically my style of IC piping, I like it!

Did you make it yourself?
Ya, I can't stand those stupid F&F swooshing/whistling ricer BOVs (HK$, Greddy, etc...)

I cut up all the pipes and welded em' up at a buddies house as I'm welderless.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
MikeD said:
Nice setup. Nice shifter knob, too! The only thing I question is the IC mounting bottom brackets to the front spoiler lip. Is that lip sturdy enough? I'd rather mount to something more solid.
Most of the weight is supported by the top mounting brackets (1"x1/8th" flat stock) which are bolted up to sheet metal. Bottom ones are mostly there for positioning. Also, with 4 mounts on the IC and 8 mounts on the body it puts very little stress at any one given point. Very sturdy setup and 6 of the 8 existing body bolt holes line up perfectly.

·
Registered
9,445 Posts
The IC positioning on the bottom still bothers me. The bottom of the lower air dam DOES flex a little bit (by design), so it's not exactly the most solid thing in the world.

Also I don't see your front tow hooks anymore. Thus it "appears" that the lowest thing in the front of the car right now is the bottom of your IC. My concern is if you accidentally scrape a high concrete parking curb. Yeah I know.. "EVERYONE" says they will be careful & will avoid the curb, but accidents do happen & you don't stop in time. Things to ponder.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
CJSREDPRA said:
The IC positioning on the bottom still bothers me. The bottom of the lower air dam DOES flex a little bit (by design), so it's not exactly the most solid thing in the world.

Also I don't see your front tow hooks anymore. Thus it "appears" that the lowest thing in the front of the car right now is the bottom of your IC. My concern is if you accidentally scrape a high concrete parking curb. Yeah I know.. "EVERYONE" says they will be careful & will avoid the curb, but accidents do happen & you don't stop in time. Things to ponder.
Doesn't bother me and thats all that matters :D

I literally cannot move the IC in any direction AT ALL, very solid.

I could only fit the passenger side tow hook back on which sits at the same level as the lower IC mounting bolts but a few inches behind the IC, so no protection there. IC is as high as it can go.

Definitely no curb hitting allowed.

·
Registered
862 Posts
I got a chance to see it in the flesh at the autox meet. It is one of the best IC instals I've seen pics never do justice. Chuck now it's time to up the boost!!!

ps I don't know how I missed the shift knob tho, it's a real nice touch man.

don't know why I didn't ask before but how much did you EGT's change with the IC?

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
Actually, I didn't notice the mounts. The IC is a hair too low. You probably noticed that you could not put it much higher because the inlet/outlets were going to hit the bumper bolts.

The solution is to use new custom bumper bolts installed upside down, so the bolt does not sit down. You could possibly put the stock ones upside down, but I did not try. This way, you get full clearance to install it higher.

Removing the tow hooks is unavoidable though, as the tanks point straight at them.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
joefoe said:
I got a chance to see it in the flesh at the autox meet. It is one of the best IC instals I've seen pics never do justice. Chuck now it's time to up the boost!!!

ps I don't know how I missed the shift knob tho, it's a real nice touch man.

don't know why I didn't ask before but how much did you EGT's change with the IC?
Shimming the wastegate right now :woot:

EGT's dropped about 100 degrees F, engine bay is way cooler after boosting

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
935motorsports said:
Actually, I didn't notice the mounts. The IC is a hair too low. You probably noticed that you could not put it much higher because the inlet/outlets were going to hit the bumper bolts.

The solution is to use new custom bumper bolts installed upside down, so the bolt does not sit down. You could possibly put the stock ones upside down, but I did not try. This way, you get full clearance to install it higher.

Removing the tow hooks is unavoidable though, as the tanks point straight at them.
I hacked off the ends of the bumper bolts and the pipes clear the frame seam by 1/8", didn't feel like cutting it back for obvious reasons. Also because of the radius of the U-bend I had to mount the IC as forward as possible which left me with 1/4" on either side at the top of the IC, so no room too move up there either.

Trust me its a very tight fit.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
nice....but i would have spaced the IC up at least flush with bumper.

Charlie

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
oldschool85 said:
nice....but i would have spaced the IC up at least flush with bumper.

Charlie
Your intercooler is alot narrower so you have that luxury :D

·
Registered
15,092 Posts
swank said:
Your intercooler is alot narrower so you have that luxury :D
he has a 24x12x3 as well. i have a 24x12x4 and i dont think ill have a prob getting it all the way up. but who knows.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts