Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The factory lug nut is a version of the mag/shank lug w/ washer. Thread pitch is 12x1.5 :

Most aftermarket wheels require cone seat lugs. There are a few exceptions that require mag/shank lugs.

Bulge acorn (recommended for standard usage)

Standard acorn:

Open ended bulge (recommended for wheels w/ caps that cover the lugs)

Open ended:

Small Diameter/Spline Drive aka tuner lugs (requires special key)

key:

McGard Spline Drive requires a proprietary key:

key:

ET- Lugs (when you need to reach further into the wheel due to spacers /not enough thread):

The dimensions doesn't have to be exactly the above. It is to give you a general idea of the proportions. The 60% angle on the seat is the industry standard on aftermarket lugs with the exception of ball seat (VW/Porsche).

- Remember all lugs should make five (5) complete revolutions when attached.
- Do not grease nor lubricate the lug nut nor thread. Clean all oils from lug seat.
- Always install by hand to prevent cross-threading or overtorqueing. If a shop insists on using an airgun to install the lugs NASCAR-style... go to another shop.
- Torque to factory recommended specs (generally 79-85 lb-ft. )
- Always torque using a star or cross pattern.
- Recheck torque after 500-1000 miles.
- Do not overtorque. It will cause rotor warpage among other things.

Regards,
James R

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As long as it meets the following criteria:

1) It fits inside the holes of the wheels
2) You can get your socket inside the holes of the wheels (Look into a thin-wall socket as well.)
3) It can turn the min five (5) rotations to grab enough thread.

Regards,
James R

·
Registered
870 Posts
As this is a after market lug write up naturally I assume your talking your lug options for aftermarket wheels that were not designed to use our mag shank lugs and not useing these as a repalcement part in case you lose a lug nut.

Also every shop Ive ever been to has installed the lug nuts with a airgun. This is not bad as long as they use a torque stick that will torque the bolt
20 ft lbs below factory recomendations then go back through with a torque wrench and torque the bolts or studs (if you drive a german pile or some Hyundai and saturns.) to factory recomendations.
If they bolts dont make a quarter of a turn though after you torque them with a torque wrench then Id go back through them agian and make sure they turn a quarter turn when applying the torque.

Concerning the retorque on the wheels I would recommend that on a brand new set of wheels to be retorqued at 50, 250, 500, and 1000 mi.
I recommend this because new wheels having a setteling period in which they heat up by convection through the brakes and expand and contract. If you wait 500 mi for a retorque you run a risk of losing a wheel or getting an annoying vibration.
Well thats my :twocents:

·
Registered
1 Posts
LUg nut question

Can the acorn style nuts be used with the 93-98 16" SUpra rims. I have an
SC400 that i'm putting them on. Will it cause problems or do i need to use the shank and washer style lug.

If i need the Shank/washer style, Does anyone have any for sale.

THanks you,

Phil

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Does anybody have a recommendation for lug nuts to match "gun metal black" wheels? (Konig Rewinds) Prefer not to put on chrome ones.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts