Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Last Summer Agatha developed rod knock. She didn't get out of the garage much before this happened, but I wasn't too excited when I started hearing the knocking noise around 3,000 RPM. Some people said "Time to step up and put a 2JZ in Dave!" which is tempting, but I'd rather do something more unique when it comes time to retire the 7M-GTE. To be specific, I'd like to put in a 4.3 liter, all aluminum, Lexus V8.

For now, I'm just fixing the 7M and have a short list of other improvements I'd like to do before the PacNW Supra Nationals this summer. One item I've been needing to install for a long time is the Jim King R134a A/C kit.

I got pretty busy with moving into a house in Pullman WA, and getting married to my beautiful wife last year, so Agatha has been stuck in Kirkland WA at my parents house... until yesterday when they brought her home (home is wherever I am for Agatha =)

The trip to Pullman:

I have to fix a few things on the wife's Audi A4 Avant Quattro before I can start on Agatha, but I'll update my progress here after I get started on removing the 7M... again. :rolleyes:

-Dave

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Love it..:thumbsup:

7M is being haulled out of mine this month as well.!

Trying to have it done b4 mid may......:sarcasm: Places to go!

·
Registered
1,955 Posts

·
Registered
5,206 Posts
Love the fact that a few different years collaborate together, and make such a great looking car.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
I hate the 84 spoiler tacked on to the 85 spoiler.

I love everything else. Give us some V8!

·
Registered
727 Posts
So you sell Toyotas huh? Kudos to you in this economical environment!

Nice car by the way!

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I made a little progress today. Removed the negative battery terminal and the hood. I'll start taking off the intake and exhaust bits tomorrow.

And just to be perfectly clear, I'm not retiring the 7M yet. This is not going to be a V8 swap, only fixing the rod knock for now. I'll wait for the W58 to give up, then I'll do the 4.3 liter Lexus V8.

-Dave

·
Registered
7,171 Posts
glad to see agatha's finally getting some much needed attention Dave! Hope to see her shining at the nationals!

·
Registered
166 Posts
i will definitely be following this thread beautiful car dave

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Engine out

I'm getting pretty good at removing Supra engines. This used to take me a week of my free time when I was 17. I think I got the engine out in about 4 hours this time. Having air tools helps a bit.

The crankshaft looks good but I still need to put my micrometers on it. The bearings weren't as bad as I was expecting but they are definately worn out on cylinders 3,4 and 6. I was pretty sure the knocking was coming from cylinder 3 or 4 and sure enough, they are the most damaged.

-Dave

·
is awesome
2,736 Posts
I agree about several different years coming together to form pure awesome. I love the 83 wing on the 85 spoiler. I love the 83 front side turn lights, the wheels, the TRD hatch decal, but most of all, the Hood scoop. That is the ONLY Hood scoop that I can recall that looks like it SHOULD be there. Your car is pure sex.

PS. The Turbo fender badges and vanity plate are great!

·
Premium Member
3,656 Posts
Mic that crank Dave! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. Make sure to check the piston crowns...I'd imagine 3 rod bearings would be attributed to the tune (lean/aggressive timing).

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Mic that crank Dave! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. Make sure to check the piston crowns...I'd imagine 3 rod bearings would be attributed to the tune (lean/aggressive timing).
Pistons are fine, (got a good look at them less than 1,000 miles ago) I think the bearings just didn't like it much when the head was cracked on cylinder #3 and coolant was getting in after shut down. Was leaking badly enough that it ran a cylinder down for a few seconds after starting the engine. Fixed that in 2008 and for some reason didn't even look at the rod bearings when they were right in front of me :duh:

And yes, it took about 2 years for Agatha to go 1,000 miles if you were doing the math. :eekfacepalm: Hopefully she'll get driven a little more this year and make it to some Supra meets after she's fixed.

-Dave

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Fired her up tonight. Started on the first turn of the key. Don't you just love when that happens? I'll be putting the hood back on her and getting ready for the trip back to Kirkland tomorrow morning.

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
Great to hear she is happy again!

1 - 20 of 96 Posts