Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
is awesome
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Aye yai yai yai yai. I have forgotten my password to my encrypted volume on my 1TB external hard drive. SHIT. Shit double shit.

Nothing like 930GB of all of my most recently backed up data being inaccessible.

Ahh crap. Sad thing is I have a higher level of paranoia than most about information security/personal privacy and encrypted it in such a manner that it's not even really worth bothering to crack the encryption. It might be part way done by the time I'm on my deathbed.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Aye yai yai yai yai. I have forgotten my password to my encrypted volume on my 1TB external hard drive. SHIT. Shit double shit.

Nothing like 930GB of all of my most recently backed up data being inaccessible.

Ahh crap. Sad thing is I have a higher level of paranoia than most about information security/personal privacy and encrypted it in such a manner that it's not even really worth bothering to crack the encryption. It might be part way done by the time I'm on my deathbed.
How long was your password? I'm sure you remember part of it, at least? The length? Every character you remember is 8 bits more of decryption, your best chance is to brute force it unless you use passwords like I do (eg, "213%[email protected]#[email protected];L:")

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
When was the last time you used the password?
Think of what you're usual passwords are.

Is it something supra related....20psi ZOMG.... Supra85 or something.

Thats a real bummer man.

·
is awesome
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've been trying just that, keeping a plaintext file of all the passwords I regularly use and different combinations with caps etc.

Problem is my password is at least 13 characters, and most likely more than 20.... as in...
******************** THAT Long... >.< I remember part of it... hopefully it'll come to me.

Part of the problem is that my laptop recently died and I haven't been using the external drive because of just that. Plus I've been using my Motorola Droid for a lot of my surfing which I used to do on the laptop. *le sigh* I sure as hell hope I remember it soon. Pretty much a terabyte of music, movies, pictures, and personal data

·
is awesome
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've been sitting here at the computer for the last 3 hours trying to brute force it that way, if you can call it that, typing in all the combinations I can think of as they come to me. Damn me and my paranoia, I KNEW I should have used a shorter password AND a keyfile. Dammit.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I have a key sheet with barcoded passwords and a barcode scanner, but I run an online business and we have about 30 passwords. :p

Find a program to brute force for you. If you can eliminate parts of the character set, it's more bits in your favor as well, for example, if you know your password contains no numbers or symbols, you can rule them out. Find a brute force password cracker, let it go to work.

·
is awesome
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the help. I've found a few things that might help me. A PW gen that lets me set parameters, and a Java script that will attempt to BF TC via a text file. So... now to generate the PWL (pass word list) into a text file and go from there. What a PITA.

And yeah I deserve that Mark :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts