Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I've got a whitepra and the black trimmings on it look stupid I think, I've seen cars that are pure white and it's so freaking hot. Like the bar between the side windows is white, the front bumper is white, the trimmings are white... I was wondering if anyone knew how people do this.

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
White, white, white

That was a standard package from Toyota. Leslie Grover has one and it's pretty neat. It even has the white done on the stock wheels. He says the white part of the wheel's is a pain to clean (especially in the corners). But if you know Les, you know it's clean!

I don't know if he's posted any photos of it...

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah, thats freaking hot, I was wondering if there was any kind of paint I ought to be using...

·
Registered
991 Posts
Re: White, white, white

jefe_not said:
That was a standard package from Toyota. Leslie Grover has one and it's pretty neat. It even has the white done on the stock wheels. He says the white part of the wheel's is a pain to clean (especially in the corners). But if you know Les, you know it's clean!

I don't know if he's posted any photos of it...
Hmmmm let me see, I'm thinking 2003 Calendar....seems to me January started the year with a Super White 83 Supra. Just can't seem to remember whose car it is....

Leslie

·
Registered
205 Posts
Heres a pic of my white supra b4 i blew the head on it, i done all the body work myself which is y its so bad, dont laugh, umm its got shaved side mouldings, fender flares, rocker mouldings, and its pure white, i painted it, with a industrial white, which is 30 dollars a gallon, same thing as what they use in body shops that is $180 cdn a quart but its hard to find a clear for it that u can just spray over top of while its drying. cheapest is to just spray it and then feather it with at least 400 grit sand paper and spray a clear over top u can put pearl in it or metalic and make it look nice and unique if u want. the picture quality is bad it looks sorta yellowish, but trust me it'll glow under a black light :)

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah, that's beatuiful
so I'm an idiot when it comes to painting.. could I just go to a paint store and tell them I need industreal white with a clearcoat I can put on it and they can hook me up or what?
And should I paint the rest of the car or just the black parts?

·
Registered
663 Posts
Auto Paint&Plastic Trim

CST said:
yeah, that's beatuiful
so I'm an idiot when it comes to painting.. could I just go to a paint store and tell them I need industreal white with a clearcoat I can put on it and they can hook me up or what?
And should I paint the rest of the car or just the black parts?
A good paint store that sells auto paint should help you out there w/ all the stuff you should need. And theres lotsa special chemicals to use, for instance if you were going HOK,House of Kolor, wich I like, you would use KC-10 and/or KC-20 postsanding cleaner before and after sanding especially. To rid the oily finger prints, dirt, grease, wax an adhesives. Same concept for the plastic and other trim pieces>a good product for that is called PRE Painting Prep>10041z. It PRE removes same as KC-10&20 but also grease, polish, silicone, buffing compound, even road tar. Used highly in PRE powder coating. Using this on the plastic will ensure the best adhesion possible. But lotsa products for that. And a good Paint store should help you out there. And then spray paint it if you want.

Those who use HOK, use ADHERETO(wierd name)AP-01 & AP-02, it promotes adhesion and works w/ PLASTIC, METALs, CHROME, or a variety of other surfaces. Ask the sales paint rep if this can work w/ your paint :idea: but stick to something compatible w/what you decide. Like just trim,or painting the whole car :)

Every thing I mentioned above is available at www.eastwoodcompany.com

I signed up for a free catalog and enter your email address to get some coupon deals this holliday season. :D They have everything for BODY work. Hope this helps ya out.

·
Registered
568 Posts
You just need lots of time and money and a good bodywork man. Be sure to get some flexible paint for the plastic areas as I had some done before with normal two pack paint and it flaked of in places. It should not cost to much if you are only going to paint the black trim but if you are going to do the whole car it will cost. Mine set me back over £2000 pounds in all, but it was done in three stages as I could not afford it in one go.
:boobs: :hail: :rockon:

·
Registered
9,445 Posts
Bumpers,

When shooting the paint on the bumper covers DO make sure that you paint does have a flex agent in it. And it's not for holding the paint. Comes especially in handy if you back into something, or if some dweeb rear ends you <5mph. W/O the flex agent, the paint will crack, or will show some spiderweblike lines. With the flex agent, no cracks.

·
Registered
205 Posts
why is it that when someone reads a post he has to prove that hes smarter then the last. I coulda said all that prep shit since ive been doing it for the past few years apprenticing in a body shop. ne ways, the man is obviously just asking for some guidance to get him started on the idea of weather or not he should go along with his plans, and what would be the cheapest and more effective way to go about it, not get a book thrown at him and turn him in the other direction. the fact is body work is simple ne one can do it, theres just some people that its the only thing they can do so they make it look alot harder then it is to make themselves feel superior then someone. my advice is to go to a friendly bodyshop that u know isnt going to try and screw you over and they will give you advice.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Whackysupraman said:
why is it that when someone reads a post he has to prove that hes smarter then the last. I coulda said all that prep shit since ive been doing it for the past few years apprenticing in a body shop. ne ways, the man is obviously just asking for some guidance to get him started on the idea of weather or not he should go along with his plans, and what would be the cheapest and more effective way to go about it, not get a book thrown at him and turn him in the other direction. the fact is body work is simple ne one can do it, theres just some people that its the only thing they can do so they make it look alot harder then it is to make themselves feel superior then someone. my advice is to go to a friendly bodyshop that u know isnt going to try and screw you over and they will give you advice.
Easy there Whacky...

I read the previous posts - and CST asked an open-ended question that invites a variety of answers from people. Everyone has various levels of knowledge. The reason for the forum is to allow that knowledge to be shared with everyone in hopes that we'll all be better off for it.

You said what YOU said, and other people chimed in with their responses...like it or not, this is how an open forum works. Best of luck.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I prefer the black trim.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
actually all the input has been helpful guys, I'm hoping not to spend $2000 to paint my car for obvious reasons but some of the stuff you've all said has helped.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Sorry was in a bad mood as usual, i tend to pick apart everything and then it tends to end up offending me in some way and i get angry i appologize for what i had said, it was his chance to prove himself and he did very good, congrats

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
it was his chance to prove himself and he did very good, congrats
Still resenting something are we?

We all have a love for these cars, when people want to do work on them we give them all the guidance they need to do the job right.

CST: Something to look at, if you are planning on tinting your window or already have them tinted possibly consider not painting the outside of your B pillars white. Reason I say this is that with black windows and a black pillar it gives a smooth flow between the windows, where as white would break it up. I dunno.... just a thunk... Best of luch with your project.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
I have an all-white 82 with the black body moldings and pillar. I like the contrast. My rims are also white and my calipers are blue-cant see them standing still but when the wheels are turning... :)

I justed wanted to even out the color (several shades of white when I bought the car) and used 20 cans of white krylon spray paint. The stuff works well no drips or runs and it is flexible over the bumpers. Total cost was about 50.00CAN and a few days of sanding and prepping.
I have pictures posted at the MK2-mods or MK2too site on Yahoo. I cant remember which :roll:

I just went and checked and the site is gone :(

1 - 17 of 17 Posts