Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have looked through postings all day as I'm almost positive I've heard this before on this site (or the old one, rather).

With both these warning lights on at the same time meant something VERY specific was wrong. For the life of me, can't remember what it was unless it meant the Alternator is toast.

The car had been sitting for 1-1/2 yrs, got it running today (swapped fuel pump out of '86) took it for a test spin and thought I smelled an electical problem. The odor eventually went away, however these warning lights are now on.

Thanks for any help. I'll be asking more questions as time goes on. I know they've all been answered before, but my memory is about as long as.......well never mind :roll:

·
Registered
406 Posts
yuppers..

Yup, that means you're alternator is going.

=(

Aaron

·
Super Moderator
8,397 Posts
Alternator is a goner.

·
Registered
516 Posts
You are correct. It means your alternator is toast. Time to replace it. I just had the same problem, and I'm going to replace the starter as well. If you find some place with cheap parts please pm me, I'm still looking for an alternator and starter myself. Good luck, Brian

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
82Ltype said:
You are correct. It means your alternator is toast. Time to replace it. I just had the same problem, and I'm going to replace the starter as well. If you find some place with cheap parts please pm me, I'm still looking for an alternator and starter myself. Good luck, Brian
Thanks for the confirmation...now, can this be fixed by replacing brushes, or should I just save the hassle and spend 50 or so on a rebuilt (or are they more expensive than that)

Knew I could count on a quick and informative answer from this group!!. :D

·
Registered
4,871 Posts
You may want to just remove your alternator and tear it apart to see what fried. Or, if you're not a DIY er, a rebuilt alternator would be a good move. More money but less hassle.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts