Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone make it easy for me and help me wiith the steps in replacing my alt? I got the TSRM for my 84 and 86 on the way but not here yet. Seems like they should have been here already, won them off ebay a few weeks ago. anyway i have never done this before and would like any pointers from you guys.

thanks for the help

jeremy

·
Registered
4,871 Posts
What's wrong with your alternator? Are you upgrading to a higher output alternator or just replacing the stock unit? If your stock alternator is giving you trouble it may just have worn out brushes or a bad voltage regulator. New brushes are inexpensive but a replacement regulator can sometimes cost as much as a rebuilt alternator. To get to the alternator, you may want to approach it from underneath the car with the front end up on ramps or jackstands. Just be sure to disconnect the battery before you disconnect the wire on the covered post on the alternator to prevent any accidental electrical short to ground. 8)

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
dave, the alt is bad. now if it just the brushes i do not know. is there a definate way to tell? how easy is it to do this? This is the stock alt. i know this might sound dumb but how many belts do i have to loosen up and or remove to swap this out?

jeremy

·
Registered
4,871 Posts
You have an 84 or 86, correct? Loosen the belt tension adjuster and the pivot bolt on the alternator first to loosen the single wide belt so that you can slip the belt off of the alternator pulley. Then remove both the adjuster bolt and the pivot bolt to remove the alternator. You can inspect the brushes by removing the sheet metal back cover on the alternator. Your TSRM will have a very thorough rebuild procedure that's easy to follow. I don't have a scanner just yet or I would gladly send you a copy of the pages. Maybe someone can point you to the proper section(s) in the online TSRM. Pages CH-? and ?

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Unhook the negative battery cable first, otherwise you might have some fireworks.

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
fireworks are cool...a few weeks ago i was working on a buddies car and laid a very nice long snapon rachet i have across the battery and he came over and bumped it.....man did those fireworks shoot off.....lol he almost had a heart attack..

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
foonanas said:
dave, the alt is bad. now if it just the brushes i do not know. is there a definate way to tell?

Normally it will be the brushes that cause an alternator to not operate. The brushes wear and the alternator loses it's ability to generate electrical current. The symptoms of worn brushes:

Normal driving, while the engine is reved above idle, the voltage meter needle (in the stock gauge cluster) will appear to be in the "safe" or "normal" zone, about 12-14 volts. When the car idles down, say when coming to a stop, the voltage meter will drastically drop to 10 or less. The engine may stumble or even stall (depending on how good your battery is) and, if you have them turned on, the lights will dim and the radio will fade out. These are a sure sign of worn brushes.

Very easy to change a much more cost effective than replacing the entire alternator.

Opportunities always look bigger going than coming.
Scott

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks to dave and all you guys for the help. I got the alt off today in about an hour. I know i am slow but it was my first time. i had a problem with that long bolt on the bottom she did not want to come out at first but i got it. can i get the brush kit from auto zone or advanced? the outside of the alt is really dirty what should i clean it with?

jeremy

·
Registered
4,871 Posts
Your best bet would be to go with a new set of OE brushes from the Toyota parts dept.. They are reasonable in price and will last as long as your old set, roughly 80,000 miles or longer. The next best choice in my opinion would be a new set of Beck/Arnley brushes. Cleaning the alternator case is best done with the alternator completely disassembled so you can get to all of the hard to reach areas. If you don't want to go that far with the overhaul, just use a good citrus based degreaser (Orange Blast made by White Lightning) and hot water. Harsh solvents can degrade the varnish coating on the stator and armature windings so it's best to use a non-solvent based degreaser. But, make darn sure to remove the voltage regulator first since moisture can get inside the regulator and damage it. Dry all parts thoroughly with compressed air and reassemble. Don't forget to clean up the slip rings on the armature. You can use a very fine grit sanding sponge to do this or some 400 grit wet or dry sandpaper. Good luck!!

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
I had my alternator checked after removal.. Turns out it was the voltage regulator and I had to replace the alternator. Make sure the alt can be repaired before buying a rebuild kit.
I figured it was probably the stock alternator and after 20 years it was time for a new one anyways.

-Wil

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well no one around had a rebuild kit. the closest toyota dealer is an hour away. so i bought one from auto zone. friend of mine works there and gave me an employee discount. got my tsrm in the mail and everything went back in ok. thanks for all the help.

jeremy

1 - 11 of 11 Posts