Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mark,

Do you stock a new or reman alternator for an 83 P type 5MGE and what is the cost? I have had poor luck with those sourced by by mechanic. They all have failed within 1 year or a few thousand miles.:32: The latest one seems to not put out sufficient voltage to maintain battery charge after it gets hot. My loads are really not excessive and the original never gave me trouble until it died around 114K miles. Do yours have a good track record for holding out?

·
Premium Member
3,656 Posts
Yup...they are $84 plus the $30 core. I've never had a lot of luck with aftermarket electrical rotaing parts in Toyotas...the factory Denso pieces are pretty robust. It's like in the movie Tommyboy...all they're selling you is a guaranteed piece of s%$t.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So I take your response to mean that yours are good and reliable as well as put out what they are supposed to? I don't care if they are reman or OEM as long as the previous statement is true. Given that, I will order one directly as I am tired seeing my voltage gauge drop with to 12.5 V at idle with normal night time loads. Do you have a means of returning to core or maybe it isn't worth it when shipping is considered (from Southern Calif.). I will email you with the order when I pull the trigger shortly.

BTW the trim you supplied is installed (windshield and belt moldings) and makes the care look like new with the new paint job.

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
On the 82-83 you should also make sure your "Charge Lamp Relay" is good. It is part of the voltage regulation circuitry so if it is bad the VR on the alt can get fried. Therefor alternator after alternator gets fried. Not the fault of the alternator rebuild, rather it might be your system. (yes, still avoid Autozone at all cost).

It is located in the driver's side relay panel, and is tough to get out (awful access to the tabs that hold the relay in). The last two issues I've seen with this the plastic case was warped from melting, rather obvious once it was out.

Mark/Sam/Vancouver Toyota can give you the cost of this relay - in common with Celicas so shouldn't be too bad.

This is only for 82-83, does not apply to 84+

·
Premium Member
3,656 Posts
So I take your response to mean that yours are good and reliable as well as put out what they are supposed to? I don't care if they are reman or OEM as long as the previous statement is true. Given that, I will order one directly as I am tired seeing my voltage gauge drop with to 12.5 V at idle with normal night time loads. Do you have a means of returning to core or maybe it isn't worth it when shipping is considered (from Southern Calif.). I will email you with the order when I pull the trigger shortly.

BTW the trim you supplied is installed (windshield and belt moldings) and makes the care look like new with the new paint job.
Sorry, I've been out of the store since last Monday, so I apologize for the late reply. Your notice of the voltage drop at night with the headlights/heater/turn signal bounce of the voltmeter is usually directly related to poor ground issues in the engine/battery wiring. Cleaning up the large gauge ground wire from the battery may help. but inspecting all the ground wire straps between the engine and the chassis is a MUST! Especially the ones at the cylinder head and the transmission. Often times they are corroded and or strands of wire a broken. Make sure the check them all and replace as needed before buying an alternator. I do know that the reman Toyota unit will perform as well as the car can. :)

Good the hear the moldings finished it off well...gotta love the freshness new trim brings a car.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts