Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2 months ago i installed a new alternator on my 83 supra because the voltmeter light was on. i took it to autozone and they tested the alternator and said it was definately toasted.

2 months later, here i am with another blown alternator. i took it back up to autozone today and they said i could get another alternator for free but i dont want to make the same mistake again. they told me that the alternator they offer is 65 amps.
how in the hell am i supposed to get a 65 amp alternator to run all of the elecrical stuff plus 2 subs??
any suggestions?

·
Registered
672 Posts
I had the same problem until last monday when I installed an 80 amp. All is great now..
I have an 83 same as you. I had to convert the crank and Fan pulleys to the 84 style. Then for ~$60 from Autozone an alternator from a 1991 Supra automatic. (and new belts ) A 90 amp and 100 amp from a 1992 MR2 turbo (I was told ) will fit after you do the conversion

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Yea, yea, yea ... How do you do this conversion. I've got an 82 and picked up an alternator off of a 92 7M-GTE for when see goes caput! Info in advance to a problem is always good...

·
Registered
672 Posts
To convert an 82/83 supra from a dual "V" belt driven alternator you need the following. New style alternator- crank shaft pulley--and Water pump fan pulley and cut out the wires and plug that go into the back of the newer style alternator..you will need that. This plug is round .Your old one on your car now is a rectangle.

Go to a junk yard and find an 84 or 85 Supra.. maybe even a newer Cressida with a 5 mge that has the serpentine driven alternator. Remove the Fan/water pump pulley and the crank shaft pulley. YOu will need a steering wheel pulley to get the crank pulley off.. Dont hit it with a hammer..it will break.

Go to the Toyota dealer and get a new crank pulley bolt and woodruff key.
Order a new serpetine belt for an 85 Supra , install the 2 new pulleys and torqe the crank pulley bolt to 169ft lbs. Install your new alternator plug. the wire colors match up so its easy to change out the plug. Now you can use a 65 amp 85 Supra alternator, but If you want to use the 80 amp 7mge alternator you have to get a belt (very common belt)that has 5 ribs instead of 7. Thats is it. I dont have the part number for this belt handy right now. I will add it tonight for you..

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Cool........ 8)

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Heck if your going to go to all that trouble you should diffinatly put in the 80 amp alt.

will

1 - 10 of 10 Posts