Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My alternator seems to have diead.
The check engine, battery and enging temp lights are on constantly.
I have checked the voltage coming from the big wire from the back of the alternator and it puts out 12 vaolts and drops as the battery dies.
there is alot of acid corrosion around the terminals etc and ive cleaned all that up.
what is likely to be the problem?

I have been looking at putting a 1ggte alternator in since 5mge alternators cre so crap anyway.
only thing is, its not as easy as the mark3 alternator into an 84 ma61 due to different pulleys and different plug in the back.

is it still possible to do the conversion?

cheers

matt

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
I've herd you can also put in the 100a MKIVm alt too. (which is what I plan on doing when I finish my 6MGTE)

HTH

will

·
Registered
69 Posts
you should be getting about 14 volts to charge the battery. if you wanna save a few $$$ and you're handy with tools, or know someone who is, replace the brushes in the alternator. my '82 has over 300,000 miles, and i'm on my third set. i bought a set of two from an auto electrics parts store and soldered them in. you won't find these brushes at your local auto supply.

good luck :!:

·
Registered
792 Posts
I second the replacement of the brushes. They are quite cheap(under $10) and can be found at most any parts stores. The replacement is quite easy too. I don't think you have to solder them in, but I've only replaced them on my '87 truck, which were held in with philips screws, so don't quote me on that.
If its really that bad, you can also replace the regulator too, but that'll run ya around $30~40 for that, and you may be able to find a cheaper alternative like swapping it out with a MK III alternator.
There's a link with instructions on how to do this, but I don't have it handy, so someone will have to step in here.
Good luck!

·
Registered
4,871 Posts
The brushes on the 82 & 83 alternators have to be unsoldered in order to replace them since the brush holder is part of the rectifier assembly. The later model alternators have a removable/replaceable brush holder assembly that comes complete with a new set of brushes and is reasonably priced and not real difficult to replace. I'm not sure about the MKIV alt.. The electronics may be compatible but the case style may be different and won't fit the early style alternator mount for the 82, 83. Not sure though!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts