Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I pulled the alt. from my 83L parts car, and it is totally different from my 82P one. The belt is one big wide 7-groove one, as is the crank pulley. The 82 is 2 v-belts. Can I switch these over, pullies and all? I read that you have to jumper some connection with a resistor to run mk4 alt's, but I cant seem to find that post. Also, if I score a mk4 alt. will it work with these pullies?

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
good question I would also like to know more about running a mkIV in my mkII
will

·
Super Moderator
8,413 Posts
IIRC the big thing when using the MkIV alternator is you have to change the connector plug. I believe if you use the later alternators on an 82-83 car with the early alternator you have to install a diode or something to get the charge light off. I would try an early 90's MR2 turbo alternator. Supposedly its 100A and is a direct fit on a 7M, so it should be the same swap difficulty as a 7M factory alternator. As far as the pullies go yes you can switch them around as required. Your 83 should have the serpentines belt setup though, it started in 84.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Its not serpentine, exactly. The p/s pump and ac compressor are vbelts, the alt is one 7-rib wide belt, not 2 vbelts as expected. Maybe someone already switched it? I dont know how much bigger a 100a alt would physically appear, but it looks identical to mine, save for the pulley.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts