Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so from my experiences of the last couple days, I've changed the starter in and out about 6 times. I figured a visual guide, as opposed to words might be easier, as it's pretty much the stupidest starter-placement i've ever seen.

so here we have it: the good car. this one needs a starter, or so we think. (note presence of dead turbo k car)

the donor, soon to be parted out.

these are the tools you will need. note that i have a small extension, but two big ones is best. the 13mm is used to take off the battery connection.

this is how you should assemble it all together. how pretty.

oh, and make sure you disconnect the battery. for the love of god (and your starter) please do that. don't forget or you'll be sorry.

this is what you see from the top. basically you need to get your hand/arm down one of the two areas indicated by the arrows in order to place the no-extension ratchet on the engine side of the top bolt. if you peer down right by the firewall (top arrow), you can see this bolt. it's not that hard to get onto, and once it's stuck on there, it won't fall off.

this is what you see from under the car. the easy starter bolt is front and foremost in the picture.

first, we'll use the extension ratchet with a 13mm socket to take off the battery cable. also unplug the ignition cable.

to get the first bolt out easily, i attached the extended ratchet on the transmission side of the bolt, and the regular ratchet suspended on the engine side. this way, i could easily turn the transmission side, undoing the bolt.

this is where it gets tricky. you've got a very narrow "pathway" to stick the extended ratched up from beneath the car. what you must do is stick your left arm up beside the starter and over top, feeling for the top bolt. feed the extended ratchet up that pathway, directing it onto the transmission side bolt with your left hand once it's up high enough.

once the extended ratchet is attached, you will want to go up to the top of the engine, and attach the normal ratchet via the two pathways in the 5th picture above.

this is sort of what you should see. behind that gargantuan finger, you will just be able to make out your regular ratchet, suspended above on the engine side of the bolt. turn the extended ratchet to undo the bolt. I found that the swivel head makes it really easy for the socket to come off the bolt, so i stuck my left hand up over the starter (as before) and grabbed onto the socket, making sure it stayed on the bolt. this hurts, and takes a while, but it does get the job done.

once your starter has both bolts out... it suddenly gains a lot of mass and may fall on your head. to avoid this - don't let it fall on your head :D. when you get close to undoing the second nut, brace the starter against your left wrist (as your left hand is holding onto the socket) so that it won't fall all the way down onto your face. odds are it wouldn't anyways, as toyota graciously supplied many random wires and metal pieces to get in the way. but better safe than sorry.

and this is me testing the starter. i DO scream like a girl, because electricity scares me. but you can see what i'm doing. basically, i touched a starter to the + battery plug and the ignition connection on the starter.
http://timber.rbss.net/efavideos/images/supra1/starter/starter_testing.MOV

//edit: if you own an automatic transmission and want to swap your starter, convert to 5 speed first, it's easier.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
It's not really funny but I couldn't stop laughing! :lol: I'm the same way when it comes to electric stuff, too! Good luck!

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
This should be preserved as a Sticky or even added to the FAQ. Stephen? Mike?

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
suprasrock said:
I work with 415volts and even our 16 year old apprentices don't squeal that bad when they get zapped for the first time! :eek:nfire: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
dude i didnt' even get zapped. the starter scared the shit out of me. :shock: :? :(

·
Registered
245 Posts
sure use the "one kickass swivel" that makes it easy!!!!lol I did not have the pleasure of using said swivel. went to buy one within walking distance at autozone but they were currently out of stock. but a couple hours later done. downloading your video now can't wait to see it!!!

jeremy

·
Registered
73 Posts
This should be preserved as a Sticky or even added to the FAQ
I totally agree. I need experience in car maintenance so all these little visual aides actually help a lot believe it or not. Now if we could only an idiot proof visual guide on how to put in a 7MGTE :D

·
Registered
195 Posts
no swivel no extensions no problem
It's even better with power tools! ;-) I parted out this old '85 Redpra and using a wrench and an air-powered ratchet had it off in seconds. :)

The only thing to note about taking off the starter is to take off only the bolts you need to remove it. If I remember correctly there are two 14mm bolts keeping the starter onto the car but there are also two smaller bolts (possibly 10mm) on the starter itself that at first glance appear (or at least did to me) to also need to be removed. DO NOT REMOVE THOSE SMALLER BOLTS, that will allow the starter to come apart and the motor may actually fall out of the casing (not that I'm speaking from experience or anything :oops: :) although it's a good way to check if it needs new brushes... yeah, I meant to that! ;-) ). So yeah, that's my two cents (and correct me if I'm wrong about the bolt sizes).

Btw, having removed tons of stuff from various Supras from different years I've yet to come across any 13mm bolts. The smallest I've seen is 8mm (or perhaps the rare 6mm), then they go up by twos until you hit 14mm, then it goes up to 17 and 19 and there's some bigger ones but I don't have sockets or wrenches that big so I'm not sure what they are but I'm guessing either 21mm or 22mm (what's the tran/diff drain plug? is that a 22mm or 23mm?) Anyway, that's another two cents worth. ;-)

- Mike

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I found a box wrench for the top bolt to be the best. I don't think I used a swivel either... it's been a couple of years.

·
Registered
793 Posts
the trans drain plug is a major pita! I had to go and buy a special wrench, as the sets I bought didnt come with one that big and it was on so tight I cracked a socket with a breaker bar. The answer: much WD40 and tapping. I dont think theyre supposed to be on that tight, but mine sure was!

·
Registered
69 Posts
while we're on the subject of starters, here's something some of you might benefit from.

i've saved hundreds of dollars on starters. most toyota starters can be returned to life by simply replacing the copper "contacts" inside the solenoid. without doing anything else other than minor cleaning, i've rebuilt starters this way and gotten 100,000 miles or more out of them. the one on my 82 is on it's second rebuild. i've done it for friends and relatives too.

go to an auto electric parts store to find the contacts; you won't find them at your local auto parts. they should run about $4 for a set of 2. if anyone is interested, i'll post the directions on how to do it. spend the $$$ on something more interesting
:!:

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I've been saying this as well for about 2 years, MJ. Glad to hear others are on the same page. :)

·
Registered
69 Posts
quick said:
I've been saying this as well for about 2 years, MJ. Glad to hear others are on the same page. :)
thanks quick! there are lots of easy repairs we can do to save $$. i have also successfully rebuilt blower motors and alternators :!:

·
Registered
200 Posts
Ok...I've got to say that this was the stupidest thing I have ever done in my life. If I ever have to do it again...I'm just going to pull the engine. Pisses me off that when I pulled the starter out and test it it works perfectly...time to run new wires.

Observations made...

It makes a few things easier to maneuver around if you go ahead and unbolt the tranny/body ground wire and slave cylinder. Also, the neutral safty wire thingy (I think that's what it is) could be disconnected for a lil added ease.

The bolt on top of the starter was easier to get at from the top. The swivel socket is hard to control from underneath...it's a bit less complicated from above, but you can only do it if you have smallish arms.

Do not leave any portion of your body directly beneath the starter when you pull that last bolt, especially if you've already gone ahead and removed the wires I mentioned earlier. It will kill you.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts