Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,292 Posts
Me and Slip just had to do this on an auto recently. That was a PITA, but we figured out a decent way to do it. Get a buddy, one on top, one below. With a bungie cord, pull all the wires and lines at the back of the motor on top out of the way, do everything you can to open it up back there. Including removing the rear cross member and use a jack to lift the tailshaft of the tranny as high as it will go (you will start jacking the car with it if you go too high, thats bad). Get yourself a set of rachet wrenchs! The ones with swivel heads are the handest, no mechanic should be without these. The guy on the bottom should hold a wrench or socket on the back of the bolts, the guy on top should go at them with wrenchs and rachet wrenchs. I had to use to two wrenchs locked together to get enough leverage to crack the nuts, after that the rachet wrench will do the trick.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
i have come to the conclusion that the starter on this vehicle was design by the devil, himself.

got the first bolt off with little trouble (a breaker bar fixed that), got the power cables off and went to town on the top bolt/2nd bolt. that thing is impossible, i swear it. i got the bolts on but i can't get any wreches or extensions or anything on there. there's damn near no room next to the firewall and on the top side there's too many cables. what in the hell?!!!

anybody wanna move to california and help me? :x

·
POTATO
17,179 Posts
I would help you man, if I was over there. I just went through the pain of this myself, lol
the top bolt is the biggest PITA I swear... I had to lay on top of the engine and weave my arms in between the intake and brake master cylinder. Make sure you have plenty of light, on top and/or underneath. Trust me, if my weak little self can do it, so can you, it just requires hand and arm acrobatics, lol

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
yeah, i think i figured it out...i need to go buy some of those fancy wrenches that work like sockets. think that'll fix me right up. i swear there's not enough room for the bolt but i can fix a wrench in there.

·
POTATO
17,179 Posts
I used normal wrenches fine. I have the wratcheting wrenches but I didn't even use them. I do agree getting a stubby wrench may be better

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
majjam1954 said:
quick said:
I've been saying this as well for about 2 years, MJ. Glad to hear others are on the same page. :)
thanks quick! there are lots of easy repairs we can do to save $$. i have also successfully rebuilt blower motors and alternators :!:
How dificult is it to rebuild the blower motor? where would I get the parts?

will

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Tanyas Mk2 said:
I used normal wrenches fine. I have the wratcheting wrenches but I didn't even use them. I do agree getting a stubby wrench may be better
yeah...i tried the regular wrenches...too many damn cables and crap in the way. my arm is all scratched up from trying.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
After much blood, sweat and tears my stupid starter is finally in again! wooohoooo. Next time, i'm paying a shop to do it. I managed to escape with only a nasty cut under my eye (dropped a rachet :(). It goes in MUCH easier than it comes out though and it's a shame i have to hide my shiny new starter in the engine bay.

·
POTATO
17,179 Posts
chalk it up as a learning experience! I'd much rather bust my own knuckles than have a shop rape me for prices
:wink:

·
Registered
551 Posts
i jsut took my starter out from the top with a 3/8th and 1 extension + 13 and 14 scoket.

i didnt realise it was so easy. you just got to know the feel of it. got the contacts and plunger replaced with denso ones and now the car starts no problem.

time to give'er

·
Registered
126 Posts
bit of a long shot, but does anyone still have the original pictures from the front page of this thread?

already tried archive.org :(

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
SupraFiend (Seamus) may have them somewhere, but as one who has removed a starter in the past week for a clutch replacement, I was laughing at re-reading this thread. Remove the top bolt first, as the bottom one is easy. And don't disassemble the starter - no 10mm bolts. The two times I've done this I've tried to take the starter apart. Repeat, no 10 mm.

I also needed a magnet several times to retrieve dropped wrenches. Hint, remove the front driver-side tire so you have better access. The Neg cable bolt to the starter is the only 13mm I've found on a Supra.

At least you aren't trying to pull the 2 upper bellhousing bolts. EVIL

·
Registered
92 Posts
id be pumped if the pics still worked!

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
After laughing my ass off, I had to reply to this ancient thread. The first time I removed the starter, I was dreaming about those who built these wonderful cars and wondered why they had really long arms and tiny hands. Then I had to listen to a buddy about how long it took. Unfortunately, I'd discovered the bad contacts but didn't have them. A quick fix at least lasted well past the parts arriving. So next time, my buddy got to remove the top bolt. Ha Ha. Same as my first time, 45 seconds on the lower, 45 minutes or more on the upper and he's a small guy! We both decided that if there ever was a next time, it would be faster to remove the trans! Well, I recently did it again and it was very easy from below with a 2' extension and to tame that universal, I wrapped duct tape around it. I shone a light on it and it was a piece of cake. Those of you with small hands and hopefully long arms can do it any way you want. We all knew that these cars were designed to be easy to assemble not easy to fix. Fortunately, while not perfect, we're much luckier than most others.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts