Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
eyyyy so ik everyone is trying to get a siCK ffim for their 2jzge, so there’s like a billion threads, but i need some help from some people who really know these engines. i’m planning on going na-t. i have a holset hy35, which as far as i understand can make some serious boOSt. but i’m just tryna get like 350hp. like a stock gte. everyone says stop trying and buy a full gte swap, but i really think i can do this cheaper (also engine building is funner than driving a fast car IMO) i got a vvt long block for $200, and this turbo for basically free. a wrecked gs300 will run me about $700, for all the other parts (like rods, manifolds etc) and a hopelessly abused 2j.

on to my real question. i know some guys that can weld aluminum, i also know some dudes with a CNC machine. if i buy a 1jzgte intake manifold, is it close enough that i can get a plate adapter made to make it work? i’d rather not spend $300 on a lead zeppelin from ebay that doesn’t even work.

also is a FFIM even necessary? i’m concerned about the ic pipe getting too hot. all my na-t peeps where u at?

i’ve never seen any gte parts or nonvvt in person, if so i would just test fit it and see.

·
Super Moderator
8,313 Posts
I mean people have made adapters to put the GTE manifold on the GE so I'm sure it can be done. Do you need it at that power level, no. It's mostly a looks mod unless you're making a ton of power. The only compliant I've ever heard about the ebay manifold is that the flanges aren't flat. It seems a lot easier to fix that than go crazy with custom parts. Also you don't want to use the 2JZGE VVTI block for turbo either.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hey thanks for the reply. i plan on using non-vvt rods, and maybe gte pistons, should have mentioned that. i also plan on adding the oil cooler and piston squirters.

so at 350hp, running the IC pipes over the turbo is not a concern? would it be worth it to just not use an IC, like some of the 7M builds out there? (i have a nice IC, but no pipe yet)

also if i buy a wrecked non-vvt parts car, will the manifolds work?

also maybe a bad idea, but ive seen some cheap 1JZ parts floating around, not sure why theyre so much slower, but maybe a 1.5JZ with 2J cams, valves etc?

kinda new to post-1994 toyotas so sorry for the n00b questions

·
Super Moderator
8,313 Posts
If it was me I'd just go find an complete early 2JZGE in good condition and use it whole. It's not like they are that expensive. Building something from everyone's junk is rarely cheap or easy.

The amount of heat transfer to the air in the 10 milliseconds its spends in the pipe is microscopic in comparison to the turbo compressing the air. If you're chasing the last 5 hp sure its important, but if you're that concerned about it insulate the pipe. The biggest advantage to the front face manifold is pipe routing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts