Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted a video from the Lakeland FL Autocross yesterday from inside my 85 MK2, just follow the link in my sig to the Supra page and you will see it. Enjoy!!!!

P.S. That jump about 1/4 of the way into the course messed up my alignment, I dont know if ill be going back there :cry: :evil: :twisted:

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Holy crap...cool video as always Wes. However...my stomach is a little queezie now and I don't think I want to ride with you in a car -- ever.

Hahahaha...nice work, good job. ;)

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No, I need to loose some weight LOL 225+lbs. Why not ride with me, I didnt hit anything, not even any cones!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
SupraWes said:
No, I need to loose some weight LOL 225+lbs. Why not ride with me, I didnt hit anything, not even any cones!!!!!!
I'm sure you a great driver...I guess after watching you "toss" the Supra through the course, and the camera angle etc...I was getting dizzy.

Yeah, I'd ride with ya - I like drive fast...and riding with my buddies in the twisties doesn't bother me. I guess I'm just used to being the one behind the wheel though.

Good job Wes.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
As usual really nice work. I enjoyed every minute of it! :shock:

·
Registered
8,519 Posts
awesome vids Wes... your in-car camera mount is sweet. I was just reading how the new $300,000 Porsche Carrera GT has a built-in popup camera unit between seats - looks like youve got them beat!

Keep up the great work!

·
Registered
13,118 Posts
How exactly do you have your camera supported? I am looking into a few mount possibilities, one being clipped into the front of the sunroof hole, and mounted above the car. Another is to build a frame from bent conduit that rises 5-6' above the rear hatch and attaches for something of a 3rd person view... But you know, for now, while I'm arguing with the safety steward of having a 5# camera exterior to car at 60mph on some ghett-rigged mount, might be fun to have one in-car.

--BillyM
Viva La AutoX!

Do you have a link to the results where you raced?

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The mount is an add on for the rear support bars I am making. The results arent posted yet that I know of but they will be a www.cfrsolo2.com Though my times are pretty dissapointing, my struts and stru mounts are so bad that I have to fight the car around the course the whole time. Plus Im still pretty new at autocrossing so I havent learned how to do it well yet.

·
Registered
7,111 Posts
Awsome vid. :twisted:

<----------who drives like that every day :twisted:

·
Registered
13,118 Posts
Heh, I feel your pain. The announcer always makes fun of my "mad basketball skills" as my inside front tire bounces 1-2" off the ground on hard sweepers. Plus the car up against me is a Cooper-S, on hoosiers, with a 10+ yr experienced driver.

Oh well, only 1-2sec behind them on 50-60sec courses. Hoosiers and Struts should put me a second and a half ahead.

--BillyM
Viva La AutoX!

·
Registered
479 Posts
Nice video and driving job! I ran my Mk2 a few times also - it's a blast. I can relive those days of trying to turn the steering wheel like a sailing ship wheel (about same size it feels.. hehehe). You tossed the car around real well and looks like the normal big push of the front end has been tamed with all the supporting suspension mods.. I ran my car only 1x after all the suspension mods + 7mgte and now the rear end swaps sides.. I recommend AutoX'ing to everyone.. improve driver skills, safely learn limits of your car and have lots of fun... Jay B in AZ.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I put up another video called AutoX Ride #2. This one is from the Florida State Fairgrounds in Tampa FL. You can hear and see the wheel chop in this one pretty well especially at the back of the course in the 180. Anyway I'm ordering shocks in 2 1/2 weeks :)

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Another good looking run! :shock: Everytime I follow along with one of your rides it makes me wanna go to a local event. :lol:

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Great looking run Wes.........very cool and I didn't get sea sick from watching it this time! ;)

One thing though, is it hard to figure out where to turn? I mean, I can tell how they have the cones laid over in different directions etc. Do they allow you a few practice runs to get used to the layout of the course?

It looks like it would be kinda hard to figure out where to go.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No thats the whole challenge of the sport is being able to drive fast the first time out. You are allowed to "walk" the course as much as you like in the morning and they also have a novice walk through where an instructor walks with you and points things out that you will want to look for.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Cool deal - one of these days I'll have to try it...looks like it might be fun. Thanks for the heads up on that, I honestly had no clue how you were supposed to run on something that you're not familiar with...and still run fast.

But that apparently is the idea. ;)

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Never left 2nd gear, eh? What was the top speed you reached on the fairgrounds run?

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Close to 60 I would say. The blown shocks make the car very scary to control at high speeds so I can't go as fast as I want to in places. Especially slaloms I loose alot of time because I have to slow down so much, you can sort of see it at the beginning of the video where I am accelerating fairly hard and then have to slow down. You can hear the wooshing of the rear shocks too, they are gabriels I put on 2 years ago and they are total junk. Hopefully that was the last autocross on those things though. Next event isn't untill august 30th. It will take me a while to untrain myself on trying to control the body sway with steering inputs though. Most times it doesnt pay to shift unless you really need to. Shifting wastes time and upsets the car, in a tight autocross course theres not much benefit unless you are bogging the engine or hitting the rev limiter.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts