Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, forgive me I know this answer is probably somewhere on these forums but, will the shallower 82-83 pan even fit over the 84+ style pump? Or will it actually hit the pump screen and not sit flush. Mine sits flush with no problems, but I want to make sure.

When I bought the car it had a mix and matched 83/84 5mge motor rebuilt by the previous owner, and I'm not sure if he used the 83 or 84 pan and it was full of metal shavings which makes me wonder if he even knew about the differences.

·
Super Moderator
8,459 Posts
The oil pan changed in 85+. You can tell the newer pan since there is a plugged hole in the side under the oil filter.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh ok. So 84 and under are all the same. Thanks. There's a lot of confusing info on this, but most of what I've read is from like 03-09.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
One more question, sorry I feel like I'm annoying..

I know the 5m had 2 different oil pumps but I'm actually having trouble finding out which oil pump is the longer one.

I saw a thread about the 2 different pumps but he never clearly stated which one was which and I can't really tell from the pics. I know one has dowel pins to line up the pickup and one don't, I have 2 pumps, one I bought before I knew there were 2 types, and one that was in my motor, the ones I have don't have those dowels. Are mine the longer or shorter style ones?

My pan fits over the pump fine but the pick up screen has already been crushed some by a pot hole I guess (pump looks fine inside) so idk if that's why it's clearing the pan.

I was digging through the parts the guy gave me when I bought the car, and I found a later style oil pan with the bung hole on the side. So maybe the other engine is really an 85. I don't have the oil pump from the other engine he gave me so I'm not sure if he put the wrong one on or not. I'm almost ready to put the engine in the car and I hate for the oil pressure to be low cause of that, I know it would be a pain to change out with it in the car.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts