Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having an issue with replacing the antenna on my car the old motorized one snapped off and I want to replace it with a smaller universal one. The only problem being how to get the old one out and put the new one in. This doesn't really seem like a great task but it is pretty concealed and in a tight spot. If you guys have any tricks or guidance in this fell free

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
You have to be careful unscrewing the retainer nut on the side of the car where the antenna goes in. It turns but if you use the wrong tool you can end up scraping the paint. Once that's done, and everything is disconnected inside the car, and unbolted, it drops right out...

I've done it a couple of times but it's been a while!

It's Usually easier getting the old one out than putting a new after-market unit in to replace it...

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is the nut under a cap or is the nut the whole chrome piece?

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
whole chrome piece, and there is one or two? bolts that blot it to the frame just inside that panel... by the water resivior

·
Registered
7,273 Posts
The top-most part (chromed) and the side mount nut inside are the only 2 mounts.
If you dont have the tool to properly undo the chromed nut, before you do anytrhing,
take a carboard piece with an ellipse hole, and tape it in place around the antenna, this way you will protect your paint when/if you tooling slips.
I use a small long-nose plier, and locate them in the grooves.
Then, holding the pliers from the nose area (not the handle) I turn to free the nut.
Naturally, you have to remove the interior garnish to acess the area after.

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
The whole chrome piece - note that it has indents sort of that you can put a special tool into to turn it to take it off. Most people just cobble something together to turn it. I've even (yes, you can yell at me) used a taped screwdriver and tapped it lightly to get it to to turn so I could remove it.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys for the advice I will give it a shot tomorrow after work when I have some day light if I have anymore problems I will b sure to let you all know

1 - 7 of 7 Posts