Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,394 Posts
You could retrofit the ABS system from another car. The hardest part would be how to mount all 4 speed sensors at the wheels. You'd also have to get all the wiring right so that you get no codes. ABS systems will deactivate when there are any codes. Then you'd have to redo all the brake lines as well.

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
the donor vehicle would have to be EXTREMELY EXCEPTIONALLY closely matched to the mkII.

about the only close match i can think of would be the IS300, and that might not even be close enough...also, good luck finding a really good condition IS300 to rob parts off.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hey guys just a quick question statment i havent fitted abs to my celica supra yet but i have been researching it and planning im trying to find a car of same weight distribution to the supra which has a seperate abs computer using suitable discs for the computer and suitable sensors my only snag is wiring and fluids any ideas help would be apriciated

·
Super Moderator
8,394 Posts
I think I'd disagree on the ABS. For 99.99% of the people on the planet Earth most are going to do better stopping with ABS. Especially so on cars with EBD that can shift the brake bias from front to back and vice versa dynamically. ABS just makes in boneheadly simple to do back to back consistent stops repeatedly. I hate to be a magazine racer but look at the Vipers stopping distances before and after ABS. Sure a perfect driver on a single stop can match the ABS distance once or twice, but do it hundreds of times. Even F1 cars ran ABS when they could. Although I still couldn't recommend installing ABS in a MkII, mainly for legal issues.

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
i wouldnt recommend installing abs because youd throw 10000 at it and it still wouldnt work properly.... just my 2 cents, but manufacturers spend millions on getting each abs system figured out just right, and they know every little schematic and specification on every part that theyre dealing with.

backyarding something together is ok with turbo systems, and roll bars... but not brakes.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Retro-fitting ABS to a completely different non-abs semi-classic older car is IMO not the best thing to do. Yes 99% of the people need it. But out of those 99% of the people that need it, 95% do NOT know how to properly use ABS. And out of those 75% should have never received a drivers license in the 1st place.

1 - it adds weight
2 - if you're constantly needing ABS
a - back off the car in front of you. Does the words Failure to maintain
ASD mean anything?
b - try a less aggressive driving style
c - pay more attention to weather conditions
3 - depening on which ABS system you decide to cannabilise, you can either
a - have complete failure of the braking system - complete lock up or complete open , thereby causing the accident you were trying to prevent

The only time I evere got into ABS is when I was doing something I wasn't supposed to - late braking a corner to beat an NSX around a corner at a driver's school.

Learn how to threshold brake. It will save you a lot more times than ABS. Learn your car. Don't depend on it. It depends on you - the driver.

But hey... don't let our negativity dissuade you. People have run up against our walls before and have successfully done things that they were told not to do. Some have gone sheepishly into the background with failure. Besides it's your car, your money and your life. :wink: Do what moves you. 8) Innovation is what makes the western culture what it is - always looking to the future.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well Folks,
I Don't know if I should get all choked up...or... blow my head off. I will say this. My daughter won't let me sell the Supra so it simply MUST be upgraded! As for the "not know hows", "the 75 percents","if I were yous"the "yer moneys better spents","cars too old", they're all here in Shiny southern California, going 80 MPH, bumper to bumper, on the freeway, in rush hour traffic. (And they're all running for Governor!)And I'm the guy behind the SUV who can't see shit! Folks when it's all said and done...anti-lock brakes are superior brakes. If you want to take a purist stand about anti-lock brakes I understand that. But I'm not going to rear end that SUV over it. Probably half the peolple on the road here have no insurance, a third...no licence or suspended licence. THAT'is not worth my money.

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
I got a solution, dont' sell the supra, just park it and buy a car with abs....then drive the supra at 3am when no ones on the road....lol, good luck if you go for it.

·
Super Moderator
10,546 Posts
no one is putting the idea down because of your reasons for it, just because of the technical implications and near imposibility of the task. There is no such thing as a generic DIY ABS kit, manufactures spend millions making these things. But you also don't need ABS to avoid hitting that suv in front of you. Practise doing some quick stops without locking up the brakes, its quite doable. And if your brakes aren't up to the task, get Jim Kings Big brake kit, that will definatly drop your stop time.

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
SupraFiend said:
get Jim Kings Big brake kit, that will definatly drop your stop time.

Thats still available, i thought i read that no one could get that, because i'd definitly be interested in purchasing a big brake kit due to the fact that i plan to do a lot of upgrades soon....not to jump topic here.......

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Jim and the Willwoods..nice kit. I was wondering if or when Jim was going to make the tech drawing for the adapter available. Always kind of wondered why he didn't go with brembo or another 'import' friendly company. Willwood has been around a long time and they are a fantastic product , and they'd be great if our cars were Camaros. It'dbe like putting a Greddy exhaust on a Mustang to me. The Endless Brakes look real good, REAL SPENDY! as for difficulty... yeah... Thats why I asked! And what you good folks are for. but this isn't even close to as hard as the all wheel drive I ve got in my head.That shits impossible...at least with our current drive line. But the NAVY spent a lot of money teaching me to fix jets and shit , so technology is on my side. Maintenance skill is on my side but uh, when was the last time you saw a Supra hover?.. or do a supersonic flyby either way it's progress, and keeping up with the times.I haven't put any effort into this yet. I'll be looking for a Brembo system with ABS though when my suspension is done.

TEMPEST.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Norbie said:
Better off spending your money on an advanced driver training course, where you learn how to brake correctly. ABS is for people who don't know how to drive. :p
I'm with Norbie, money is better spent on advanced driver training. ABS is a safety device only, and is not to be relied upon to get you out of a sticky situation. As supragtr said, if you are using it regularly, then you need to learn to drive. I've never had to use it when I've been driving abs equipped cars, I've tested it but never needed it.

Also a poorly setup ABS system will cause way more problems than it fixes. IMO forget it, totally. The big car manufacturers spend millions of dollars and years of researching to get ABS right. I've seen magazine reviews of when it first came out(mid 80's i think) and braking distances increased substantially, and that was in high-end BMW cars. I can't see a situation where you would be able to improve on the current braking distances, in a panic situation.

Just my $0.02

·
Super Moderator
8,394 Posts
TEMPEST said:
Always kind of wondered why he didn't go with brembo or another 'import' friendly company.
Becaust the Wilwood are at least a 1/4 the price of Brembo parts. Don't forget Brembo brake upgrade kit are about $3000 per end. Total parts from Wilwood are under $400-500 per end.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
You can pick up a used car with ABS for far far less than it would take to put ABS on a mkii, not to mention the headache it would cause. So many people want ABS, if it was easy to do, or practical to do shops would be raking in the money doing the conversions for you (just like they were in the 80's installing rear sholder belts)

And on the handeling note... it's not about people being pureists or anything like that, ABS works great on a wet icy road, on the freeway when you don't notice the car in front of you stopping, but I have seen too many cars loose it at the track because they DID have ABS and traction control its not even funny. ABS is great for driving in traffic and whatnot but dont waste you time with it on the track... atleast one with turns.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts