Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The anti-theft device on my 84 has been acting wierd, i.e. lights flash after car is parked and shutdown. Now the headllights do not work. They raise and retract but do not light up. Fuses and relay check out OK. Is there a way to dis-able the anti-theft?
Thanks.

·
Registered
9,445 Posts
Are you positively sure that it's a 84 & NOT a 85/86????

The latter ones, there is a wire that you can cut, that will disable the factory alarm box. Others will chime in & tell you it's exact location (I had mine disabled back in 91, so I can't remember where it's located now).

If it is indeed a 84.......... 84's don't have a factory alarm, at least the ones that came to North America, the factory alarms didn't come standard till 85.

So if it's a 84..... More than likely it's a aftermarket alarm.... No telling where it's located.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Little dumb diode

my headlights were acting screwy for awhile... and one day they just stopped lighting up but they would still raise and retract... I dont have thee anti theft device but this might help you if your car is an 85 rather than an 84.

before you consider this as your problem check if the headlights turn on if you short out the relay in the engine compartment fuse box right behind the battery, If they do... the problem is the relay or something after it. but if they dont. this could be it.

theres a little orange diode that plugs into an orange clip with three wires coming out of it (not sure of the colors... it was more than a year ago)located behind the driver side kick panel. its in the headlight circut and I found it while testing the current in the wires to look for breaks. this little bugger was dead and wasnt letting current through to the relay and it wasnt kicking in... I put a little wire between the prongs to connect them and pluged it back in so the current bypassed the diode and the lights came on like normal. I later made another diode and fitted it into the connection just to be safe (toyota wanted like 50 bucks for it and a diode from any electronics store is worth 2 cents). aparently that diode is 85 specific... but I might be misinformed.

If this didn't fix your proplem, I hope it helped you narrow it down

·
Registered
174 Posts
oh yeah

If it is indeed a 84.......... 84's don't have a factory alarm, at least the ones that came to North America, the factory alarms didn't come standard till 85.

I had also had an aftermarket alarm installed and it went to hell on me... might have had some connection to the problem

1 - 4 of 4 Posts