Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'd like to know the year of this supra and perhaps if it's L or P type. Also, after perusing the internet and these forums, I haven't found any information on the chrome lower portions on the sides of this car. The owner says it's OEM. Is this true, and what is that part of the car called? Lower door skin? The chrome is by far my favorite part.

Thanks!
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Car Vehicle

Car Vehicle Land vehicle Tire Wheel

Car Wheel Tire Vehicle Land vehicle

·
Super Moderator
8,756 Posts
Aftermarket. Wheels, flares, and rear spoiler indicate a P-type. Also 1984.

Reactions: clamothy

·
Founding Member
6,606 Posts
I vaguely remember somebody here on the forum coming over and buying an igniter or something many years ago and said he lived in Watauga. I'd subsequently seen that Supra right off Western Center Blvd. I bet it's the same guy (because how many mk2 Supras could there be in Watauga) but its been too long ago to be sure. Is he selling it? Is that why you're so interested?

We'd discussed this before when somebody came here hoping to find a replacement for a damaged piece. We concluded that the chrome lower body panels were not Toyota factory parts. I remember seeing them in Pep Boys stores back in the day. It was a short-lived fad. But that doesn't mean they haven't been on the car since new. Remember Ford, GM and Dodge sporty cars and trucks all were marketed with several trim levels and lots of optional "accessories" in the late 70s and early 80s (probably to counter the blandness of the performance during that era). But Supras all came pretty much fully loaded with not many options from the factory. You could get leather, a sunroof and six or seven colors, but that was about it from the factory.

To compete with all of the decal-emblazoned faux rally cars in the market, individual Toyota dealers and our regional importer here in Texas used to offer graphics packages, wheel and tire packages, body kits and accessories like window louvers and even a rack for your snow skis. The owner may in fact have bought the car brand new with the chrome already installed, but if so, we would suspect they were either applied by the selling dealer or at the port in Houston by Gulf States Toyota.

Regardless that they are not OEM, they are a very period-correct accessory and if you like them, then you should keep them on the car.

Reactions: clamothy

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I vaguely remember somebody here on the forum coming over and buying an igniter or something many years ago and said he lived in Watauga. I'd subsequently seen that Supra right off Western Center Blvd. I bet it's the same guy (because how many mk2 Supras could there be in Watauga) but its been too long ago to be sure. Is he selling it? Is that why you're so interested?

We'd discussed this before when somebody came here hoping to find a replacement for a damaged piece. We concluded that the chrome lower body panels were not Toyota factory parts. I remember seeing them in Pep Boys stores back in the day. It was a short-lived fad. But that doesn't mean they haven't been on the car since new. Remember Ford, GM and Dodge sporty cars and trucks all were marketed with several trim levels and lots of optional "accessories" in the late 70s and early 80s (probably to counter the blandness of the performance during that era). But Supras all came pretty much fully loaded with not many options from the factory. You could get leather, a sunroof and six or seven colors, but that was about it from the factory.

To compete with all of the decal-emblazoned faux rally cars in the market, individual Toyota dealers and our regional importer here in Texas used to offer graphics packages, wheel and tire packages, body kits and accessories like window louvers and even a rack for your snow skis. The owner may in fact have bought the car brand new with the chrome already installed, but if so, we would suspect they were either applied by the selling dealer or at the port in Houston by Gulf States Toyota.

Regardless that they are not OEM, they are a very period-correct accessory and if you like them, then you should keep them on the car.
Thanks for the info! It is that same supra you're talking about haha, crazy that you've seen it before. It's been in that same spot for many years and I see it every time I visit a family member.
It's the only car I've fallen in love with (not a big car person until recently) and now I'm at the age where I can afford to get a car of my own. We caught the owner outside one time and talked about the car, he's not selling right now unfortunately. He almost did once until the buyer mentioned he would part it out, so not all hope is lost. I've been thinking about making him an offer anyways, doing research to see if it's even possible to get running again due to availability of the parts.

What do you think? I have no idea of what's wrong with it, but the interior looks nice and he said there's no rust. What's a fair offer, if I should go for it at all?

·
Founding Member
6,606 Posts
Mechanical parts to make it go and stop are not difficult to get. Granted they won't be in stock at your local OhReallys but can be obtained with a little internet diligence. What's virtually impossible to find replacements for is all of the trim. Now I haven't walked up and looked at it real close, but here in Texas, a Supra that sits outside in the sun for years like that is generally doomed. I suspect it may be pretty toasty by now and if its got mechanical problems too, then it may make sense to part it out.

It costs at least $5,000 now to get a decent paint job but nobody is going to spend that if the window belt mouldings are toast. Same with the interior. Cost at least $3,000 to get the seats recovered but nobody is going to spend that if there's a big crack in the dash. The only hope is finding somebody parting out a nice Supra up in Canada where the sun wasn't so brutal, but every time such is posted here on this forum, it is devoured by us vultures very quickly. The last two times a black dash pad was offered here, it was like gone in 60 seconds (And they were posted for $300 - at that price, people will snatch them up even if they don't need one just to keep for a spare).

You have to keep in mind that restoring a Supra is not like restoring a Mustang or Camaro since nobody makes reproduction parts and so they don't have the same sort of value curve for project cars. You're talking tedious, worldwide searching and lots of patience almost like finding parts for a 1930's coach built car. And while restorers can resort to hand-fabricating parts for a Duesenberg (it was hand-built in the first place), there's just no way to hand-fabricate something like a Supra center console the way it popped out of the robotic moulding machine from the factory.

Understanding values. We're seeing ultra-low-mileage/trailer-queen/show-car/museum-quality examples now selling in the high $30s to low $40s on hyped-up auction sites like Bring-a-Trailer and some reported private sales in the $30s. People who have been holding on to non-runners like our Watauga example are getting excited, BUT........ given the parts situation above, they're dreaming. A rising tide does not float a metal boat with a hole in it. It is absolutely impossible to restore even a Supra that's in excellent condition and get it up to mint condition. It just cannot be done because there's no NOS parts to fix those last tiny details and thus a near perfect example is worth the money.

Values drop off quickly for one that was actually driven and shows some wear. Now you're immediately down in the high teens to low $20s or almost half price for what we call "Excellent" condition. We've seen one "restored" Supra sell in the low $20s but that restoration Bill did fifteen years ago with the very last of the NOS part supply and barely driven since (it was for all intent and practical purposes mint, but records still showed it had 160K miles - proving that you can't get the big money unless it was really put away and stored from new). Some tastefully "modified" Supras have gotten into the mid $20s, for instance if they were otherwise excellent to begin with plus now have a 2JZ engine swap. But these are Supras that you could take to the big Wheels for Wellness car show today in downtown Fort Worth and win a trophy.

Beyond that you drop into the "typical" survivor cars that are a bit tatty, but still run and drive and look ok as long as you're standing 20 feet away, that might be called "Good". These seem to be in the mid to high four digit range and comprise the most of our members cars.

Next we have "Poor", they run and drive but have lots of issues and obviously look bad from even 30 feet. Those are in the lower half of the four digit range.

Parts cars, non-runners and rusty relics are in the high three digits to no more than a couple thousand depending what all is wrong with them. That's probably where this Watauga example falls - I assume it does not run but otherwise looks to be maybe toward the high side of that "poor" category if the interior isn't too bad. I'd say assume $4,500 then deduct the amounts for repairs to get it running and driving and everything working. But it becomes increasingly difficult, expensive and improbable to bring it up to good, then excellent as you get into the cosmetics and run into the lack of trim parts.

Sorry for the long diatribe, but we've seen lots of abandoned projects over the last 17 years of this forum. As a fellow Texan, just want to make sure you know what you are potentially getting into. It would easily cost more than its worth to restore and take years, but this is a hobby, not a business. You could throw money away playing golf or going fishing just as well. Just that you don't want to get to the point that you're so frustrated that you throw your clubs or rod and reel in the water. People fall in love and soon want a divorce. Check this prospective bride out very thoroughly, look under the veil (especially at all the plastic, rubber and vinyl parts). Maybe its just like first time you realized you like girls. Thank her for the kiss and go find a better girl. If you wind up wanting a divorce, remember another pop culture icon from the same era, "Half Eddie, I want HALF!" ;)

·
Registered
369 Posts
Definitely an '84 "P"-Type. The only chrome on a stock Supra is the cap on the thingy where the radio antenna comes out and the wheel lug nuts. The surround for the hatch key is SS. Likewise for the surround for the fog lights. This does help somewhat during a restoration as there is no expensive rechroming needed. The shiny panels are not to my personal taste, but as Phil says, they are a period correct aftermarket accessory so if you like them, that's fine. As long as they are not hiding areas of rust. Most mechanical parts were shared with other models and so are still available, sometimes even from your local dealer. Body panels and trim are harder to find but it can be done. A few on the forum who are much smarter than me are beginning to supply 3-D printed parts, and even the NLA side trim moldings are being reproduced. As far as how much to offer, perhaps others who watch the market would know better than me. It certainly looks to be in too good of shape to part out.

Let us know if you are able to purchase it.

Edit: I began my post this morning, and then was out most of the day. I did not notice that Phil had added a post, and I hit the reply button this evening. He certainly covered all the important considerations much better than I could. Perhaps the car has been garage kept most of the time it has been sitting and the interior is OK? Just for comparison, I got a bare metal respray done for $7,500 a few years ago. I disassembled the car, including removing the interior and hatch window, and then put it back together after it was painted. The painter only stripped it, repaired a few rust spots around the rear wheel wells that had been hidden by the wheel well flares, also a little rust starting at the two bottom corners of the hatch window opening, and then resprayed it. Might be too much work as well as too much dinero for some, but I have had the car for 34 years, and plan to keep it another 34, so it was worth it to me.

Cheers,

Bob

·
Registered
134 Posts
It may have been a dealer installed accessory. I ran across an original owner 85 Supra P-Type here and it had similar chrome. He told me that he paid extra for it when he got the car. The car has been in California all it's life and even had an 80's vanity plate.

·
Registered
3 Posts
It is an '84 -type P as mentioned by most all. It is missing the factory decal across the rear hatch that says SUPRA - not sure if you can find those anymore.

The Chrome lower panels were added, they were not factory or dealer, they were third party, at least they were when I got mine in '83, I still have the car, still have the chrome. It really helped here in CO with the rocks on the road in the winter - which is why I got them the lower body panels were getting beat up in CO winters with the rocks and salt. That said why they (owner) may say no rust, I've yet to see an '83/'84 that didn't have rust in the rocker panels behind the mud flaps and in the lower rocker bar that goes across the bottom under the doors.

While mine was a daily driver for about 10 years, and it has 150k miles, it has been garaged since mid '90's and looks good even close up, it is all original, but it does need some help and like Phil said it is mostly rubber components mostly around the windows - some day I'll get that and then re-paint. I'll make my son do the engine, pay off that auto mechanic school I paid for :) that he no longer uses while flying helicopters and jets slacker - LOL

Good luck, if it's not running I'd be be reluctant to to pay more than 1k, running well, that is always up for the condition of the rest of the car.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Raptor Racing has the rear billboard stickers. I have one and can assure that it is made to the exact shape, size, and dimensions as original. Has the hole for the lock so you know where to position it. I have a silver one that should be black as per original. However, either I made a mistake when it was ordered, or they made a mistake filling the order. I did not realize it was the wrong color until it was installed and I peeled off the outer layer of backing. I decided to leave it, and have grown to like having a "custom" billboard.

Here is the black version:

If you are able to purchase the car, post more pics........

Bob

1 - 9 of 9 Posts