Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Since I'm "on duty" on the Iowa tomorrow, I'll find out the details on the cost of a meet. Mostly it would just be the admission fee (about $18 per person) that I *might* be able to get a break on, but I think I could swing getting "free parking" by allowing people to park in front of the ship on the pier.

I know they've done this for Corvette and Military Vehicle meets, so it's not like it's never been done.

The Battleship Iowa is located in San Pedro, California. For those that don't know the area, it's basically at the Southern end of where the 110 freeway (Harbor Freeway) ends.

I also don't know if/when there's any other Southern California meets, so if anybody can clue me in on that, I'll pick a date that doesn't conflict with other meets.

There are plenty of restaurants very close to the ship, or the Iowa can arrange a "box lunch" catering deal where we could get to eat in the Enlisted Men's Mess on the second deck for about $14 per person.

If there's any interest in this I'll get a firm price. We do do special group tours all the time, but I need to know the approximate number of people that would be coming so the Tour Department can schedule some extra tour guides to assist. We've handled groups of well over 100 people, but if it gets too much bigger than 200 or so, we might have to rent the ship for the day!

And for those that are interested, I can arrange a tour of the Radio Room, and possibly the Transmitter Room, located three decks down off "Broadway".

Jim

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
Sounds like a perfect photo op. :cool: Sorry I can't 'fly in' for a meet, but I went on the tour during early decommission when it first opened up to the public. Most impressive! It played an important role in the Pacific and is definitely a monument to US history :salute: Well worth the admission, I'd def be interested in a personal tour of the communications rooms...I guess I'll have to take a rain-check on that, 10-4.

·
Premium Member
4,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No interest at all?

The ticketing guy I talked to said it would be about $24/person, including the tour, parking, and lunch, and we'd have our own parking area at the bow of the ship.

Oh, well.....maybe keep it in mind.

Jim

·
Premium Member
4,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, gamble.

I've never tried organizing anything like this, so I suppose if it happens it'll be a BIG learning experience for me!

Ans since the "Supras in Vegas" event was posted on some of the other Supra forums, I might try posting "over yonder" and see if I get any interest.

I consider this forum to be my "home" forum, so I posted here first.

Mark-I through Mark-IV, ALL are welcome......

Jim

1 - 5 of 5 Posts