Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

would you pay ~$120 for a set of 1mm oversized stainless steel 5m valves?

• yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have been conversing with a guy that sells ss valves for lots of engines. i was asking about a set for the 5m. most of his valves are 1mm oversized so these prolly would be too. they would prolly be ~$120 for the set. if interested lmk so i can see how large the demand would be.
william

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
William, can you give us a brief explanation on the advantage of an oversized valve in the 5m? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I would be interested but I need more details for I am building a HI COMP 5MGE for the Street/Stock class at Battle of the Imports... would that 120 the final price.

Jay

·
Registered
15,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well, got some bad news. if the valves havent been produced before it could take over a year to get them done as he would have to send specs, have the prtottype built, check it, and give the ok, then theyd have to be tested to the company that makes thems standards, etc... however he said he will look into it and see if they had been produced before. if so he may be able to buy the overstock. the $120 would be for 6 intake and 6 exhaust stainless steel valves. stainles steel valves can withstand more heat and also, the stem has been machined near the head for more flow.(i forget the term for what has been done) also, the 1mm oversize will allow more flow as well. ill keep everyone updated on what he finds. looks like i should have waited another day before i started the poll but i got excited when i found a supplier with reasonable prices. so when i find something out, so will everyone else.
william

·
Registered
9,840 Posts
Another way to "advertise" the advantages.Stock valve will handle about 22-25psi of boost or Nitrous.SS will handle around 50psi. :shock:

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
3000cc MK2 said:
I would be interested but I need more details for I am building a HI COMP 5MGE for the Street/Stock class at Battle of the Imports... would that 120 the final price.

Jay
Dude, you're always building something. :lol:

·
Registered
956 Posts
Williamb82

I would certainly be interested in a set of stainless steel undercut valves. If it turns out that overstock are available, count me in.

Dale

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Muchbzy said:
3000cc MK2 said:

Jay
Dude, you're always building something. :lol:
I got to do something on my spare time... BTW the white supra is almost done... a 5M w/ a CT-26 setup and FMIC... we will be running 14psi

William, keep us updated onthis stuff cause I am still looking for a set of SS valves for my NA Street/Stock class supra

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
might want to be carefull with the 1mm oversizing,...i didn't think of it before i got a set done, and of course not before i had a set of forged pistons done. What ended up happening was the oversized valves didn't match the valve reliefs on the pistons so they would come in contact. luckily the motor wasn't completed before the problem was found. i'm currently getting a new set of pistons to match the valves. i'm not too sure if the stock pistons can clear the oversized valves but its something to check into, considering my pistons didn't clear. by the way i got the valves through a local speed shop in orlando fl., they are made by manley ( http://www.manleyperformance.com/ ) awsome valves, they ran me about 140 or 150, i'd have to check my receipt later

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Thanks for the heads up. Which piston were you running, the early flat style ('82,'83 5m and all 6m's) or the later dished style ('84+ 5m)?

·
Super Moderator
10,546 Posts
I think he was saying he had forged pistons already at that point. What do those go for anyways?

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
I believe Paeco makes some forged pistons for about 500 a set. About the only cheap thing I've heard of them doing. They also have valves, but expensive.

Nick

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Wiseco makes custom forged pistons for around 600-700.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I got my Ross Racing Pistons for $600 shipped w/ the rings and spiral lock... and it is a 8.0:1 CR... a friend of my gets it for me and it is custom made to your specs

1 - 14 of 14 Posts