Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any Mountain Bikers in here? I'm looking to start biking and am wondering if anyone can recommend a bike..

I haven't ridden a bike in a couple of years

The trails I want to ride will require full suspension

I want to keep the bike under $500US, I'm not going to buy a 1000 dollar bike and then become totally dissinterested in the sport.

Anyone?

-Andrew

·
Super Moderator
8,395 Posts
I'm not a super hard core MTBer but more of an ocassional one. 500 US is going to be a little tight for a FS MT bike. You might want to check out the Giant Warp models. I think the cheaper ones are in the the 600-700 range. Giant bikes tend to have a decent bang for the buck. You might want to even consider looking for used. I would recommend taking a trip to the local bike shop if you've got one. If you wait to years end a lot of the time they have last years models a few hundred off. I would also recommend looking thru the mtbreview ( www.mtbr.com ) site for product reviews. HTH

·
Registered
517 Posts
I love MTbiking,I think now is a good time to buy cause you can get a good bike with good components at a fair price.
Get a light/full susp .BUT it all dep what type of riding you wanna do!
Downhill or Crosscountry or like me a good all around.
Try K2 for good price and light
Brodie(good bang for buck)
or a good used bike, but if you wait close to Xmass then prices will go up.
What ever you do,do lots of reaserch.so that you wont find grass greener on the other side. :wink:

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Andrew said:
The trails I want to ride will require full suspension

I want to keep the bike under $500US,
Anyone?

-Andrew
Hi, I started riding in 1986. Back then there was no full suspension and I never found a trail I couldnt get down and I live on the east slope of the Canadian rockies...I guess what I am trying to say is that Full suspension is not an absolute requirement for any trail.
Having said that I currently ride a fully suspended Mongoose. I paid 750.00Can for the frame alone.

Your 500 dollar price is not going to get you a full suspension bike that will last if your planning some gnarly riding. I recommend you find a good front suspension bike for the same price. You will get a lighter frame with better components that will last. I think in the long run you will be happier because it wont break/break down as much and you will be able to replace parts when you do break them. Some department store bikes can cost as much for one replacement part as you paid for the bike.

Just my 0.02 :)

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
go to supergo.com and look at a Weyless 2003 SP Frame w/Mantiou QL (they use to sell a compleet bike but i cant fined it now.) its the best bang for your buck its a superlight rippoff . i have one and love it. but your not going to get a good bike for $500 you should try for the $1000 range even used good bikes are expensive. Dave

1 - 5 of 5 Posts