Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im gonna be taking a private pilots class in a couple months. i have to finish current classes up first or it would be sooner :(. i jsut wanted to know if anyone has taken a course to get the PPL, or know someone who has taken it. id like to know how the class is, what kind of stuff you learn, and how experiances were.

on base the prices are $300 for the ground course, touition assistance takes care of all of that. and the books are $175 for all of them, which im gonna see if my GI bill will take care of that. and the plane rental is $60/hour, plus another $25/hour if/when you have an instructor with you.

so in all, its gonna be pretty cheap, even if i do have to buy my own books.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Well, I have about 5 unrecorded hours in a glider, and 11 hours dual flying time in a Cessna 150.. I stopped mainly due to lack of funds, I will however continue when my education is done. Hopefully within 3 years I will have my PPL...

In Ground School you learn:
Communications
Meteorology
Aircraft Operations
Navigation
Air Law
And General Airmanship

This is all from a book called: "From the Ground Up", which is the basis of a majority of ground schools.

Do yourself a favor and get a good MANUAL(not electronic) flight computer, and a GOOD douglas protractor. You will benefit from learning how to use both effectively. Oh and if you intend to go ALL the way, get a good headset. I have a very nice David Clark headset that I got for *gulp* $425 Canadian. It will probably last a life-time.

The flight lessons are spectacular, the first couple of lessons will be just keeping the aircraft streight and level. Then you'll get into banking, stalls, spins, landing, taking off, and then your solo. If I didn't stop, my next lesson would be a solo, but unfortunatly I was broke. It's addictive...

Anyway, If you need to know anything else just let me know..

·
Registered
807 Posts
I majored in professional aviation, but decided to not to follow through on the professional part ($$$). Get yourself a subscription to Flight Training magazine; they always have a few good articles, and helps keep you thinking. In addition to the typical Jeppeson books you'll probably be using, look into "The Student Pilots Flight Manual" by William Kershner, the way he explains things seems more intuitive.

Make sure you can afford to fly at least twice a week! I've watched so many students run out of money because they weren't flying often enough to really soak up the "feel". They get caught in a rut, and end up not following through.

If you ever find youself down in the San Diego area, let me know and we'll go up. :D That goes for everyone actually, there's nothing outside the bedroom I love more than taking people flying. :wink:

·
Registered
256 Posts
I am about ten hours from my ppl. After that I am going to attend TAB international flight school. I have been flying all of my life(with family and friends), and am rather well versed in aviation. Feel free to e-mail me with any questions you might have. There are two senior captains in the family, if I dont know the answer, I can get it from them. Check out AOPA.org, and thier flight training section. I highly recomend getting thier flight training membership.

Happy Landings.
Christopher

1 - 4 of 4 Posts