Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
33rd Americas Cup this month! the boats, if you can call them that, are off the Hook! Its amazing to see advancements like this in sailing technology.

http://bmworacleracing.com/en/index.html?track.refer=

Even if your dont care about sailing at least watch a video of this in action, its like Water World 2010, and its real!

·
Registered
663 Posts
So they can run any hull configuration they want? If so it seems like they should have all gone to catamarans years ago.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its not a yearly race, The Cup is held by the previous winner who gets to set the rules for the next race. Part of the conditions this year is multi-hulls over mono-hulls.

·
Premium Member
8,209 Posts
My sis in law used to work for North Sails out of Alameda for over 20years, and also at their skunk works that first made the 3DL molded mylar sails...the late Tom Blackaller ran that loft...

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
I spent the summer of 1983 in Newport, RI, where I was a sailing instructor on Saturdays (nothing like donuts when you are totally hungover trying to teach, I bought them as my first stop on Friday PM - and got top ratings from my students the next day).

For the non-sailors, I was there at the last US defense of the America's Cup (the cup is named after a ship, not the country). When the winged keel happened.

For Cargel: I can crew if you're in the Puget Sound. But I will check the tides/currents first.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I love the sound, i lived there more a less a few years with a classic sloop around Port Townsend and the San Juan's. My parents live up there now and my Mom started a canvas and sail loft. I want to get my Cal up there when i get a chance.

Rich64n, ever make it to P-town I'd be happy to show you the city from the river. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts