Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, When I purchased my 83 Celica Supra the previous owner had added a wire from the igniter/coil power (The Yellow/Brown Wire) to the battery. After much testing I realized my igniter had no actual power running to it, and that the stock harness had been hacked to pieces. They tried to wire the igniter into what I'm guessing is the stock plug, but didn't use a wire that has power. If anybody can send me a picture of how the harness looks coming from the fender to the igniter I will owe you a thousand internet points. I've ordered old wiring diagrams off of Ebay and I've looked at the TSRM, but I work well from pictures. I've included a pic of the spaghetti mess. I'm also not sure if I even have the correct coil.

·
Registered
370 Posts
It looks like you're missing the relay at least in the picture. That white/red wire going to the big round yellow plug is contant power. That is connected to the rectangle yellow plug in the fuse box. It needs to be fused. I'm not sure why the previous owner tied it directly to the battery. Probably because he thought the relay was broken or lost it? Then the black/red wires are switched on by a relay. It's called EFI Main Relay #2. The round yellow plug with the white/red and black/red wires connect to the relay. The output of the relay are the yellow and green single plug connectors with black/red wires. That switches on with key on and powers your ignitor and coils.

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
370 Posts
I would definitely get the 83 Celica Supra TEWD. It's been probably the most helpful resource for my wiring project. It will tell you exactly how each system is wired, the connectors and down to the pin numbers

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok so I have the relay, it was plugged into another yellow plug that has what I think is a test plug on it, im holding it in the pic. So the plug with the red/white and black white goes to the relay like so instead? Thanks so much for the reply.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
After some detective work, I found that the main relay that it came with had a broken lead. Picked one up from eBay and now I've got spark to the igniter and to the plugs. I can confirm that the fuel is working and circulating with the test jumper, but I'm still not getting it to fire. Whenever I try ether I just get a backfire through the intake. Anybody have their 2 cents as to what I should check next?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
7,928 Posts
Spark plugs attached in proper firing order??

Timing??

Distributor not installed correctly off a tooth??

·
Premium Member
7,928 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,928 Posts
Adjust of ignition timing

Note: Must connect T and E1 on check engine connector to get correct timing reading w timing light

·
Premium Member
7,928 Posts
How to check engine codes

Using a short piece of wire short check connector T and E1 terminals

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Spark plugs attached in proper firing order??

Timing??

Distributor not installed correctly off a tooth??
Thank you for the direction. The distributor was off a little. I was able to get it to start on ether today for the first time. Wouldn't run but it's encouraging to get some better results.

·
Premium Member
7,928 Posts
Have you confirmed fuel pump working when you short the connector at the AFM??

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Can confirm fuel pump runs when the test lead is jumped at afm. I pulled the fuel rail off and cleaned out all the injectors including cold start injector. I don't get any leaks. Only other thing I could think of is I have the stock fuel feed and return inside a jerry can that might not have enough fuel in it. I have a fuel cell to hook up just need to finish the lines and mount the tank.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts